Aeroscreen fitting question.

Hello All,

I’ve just finished making an aeroscreen for my 3A.
I’ve thought about how to mount it for a while, as it has always occurred to me that if I bolt it directly to the scuttle at each end it will slope down towards the outside of the car. This is probably not so important if two screens are fitted, because they will both slope to the outside of the car, and so look symmetrical.

The problem with just one aeroscreen  is that it looks like I’ve made a mistake fitting it, and it looks wonky. ( I don’t intend to make a second one, I got bored enough making the first one. I like designing things, but the enthusiasm wears off once I start to make them.)

Although the mounting brackets on my home made variety are not the same as the usual “Brooklands Aeroscreen”  they are both the same length, which is true of the Brooklands version.

Measuring the difference in height of the scuttle over the distance between the mounting brackets I find I need a “Plinth” of 1 ¼ inches to get the bottom of the aeroscreen level with the horizon/road/whatever. Problem is that looks a bit odd as well.

(Attached pictures show with and without the “Plinth”.)

I wonder what other people do.
Or is it simply a case that everyone else uses 2 aeroscreens?

Charlie.

DSCF5874Small.jpg

DSCF5867small.jpg

DSCF5868small.jpg

i would stick with the 1st option direct to the body - its how they were.

and i an not keen on the "levelled"up look, the gap looks wrong and the wind and rain will blow straighter under it.

ups could fit a "draught excluder" strip under the top version to lose the visual effect you worry about.

i have 2 aeros but typically only fit the one for racing and no-one has ever commented on the look being odd

H

Agreed.

Personally, I'd stick with the direct to body fitment.

End of the day though, it's your car, your choice. Whatever butters your biscuit.  :)

Or go full "wonk-less", and opt for the wraparound.

aerowrap1.thumb.jpg.3c2dd72f01787e70e3aa9b62dcaa73d5.jpg

Deggers

Edited by Deggers

If your car does not have the original mounting hardware on the scuttle, you may need to reinforce the scuttle with a bracket on the underside.   I would try to match the angle of the glass to the original items    When I run just the single aero screen on my 2 it doesn’t seem tilted at an odd angle.  Congrats on making a nice piece - it looks great.

DaN

Edited by 2long

As Hamish says, you might consider having something to fill the gap beneath the screen Charlie.   I don't think the 'brooklands' screens are as wide as yours so the tilt is less evident.

aes.jpg.0b232f734b86630dcb394a5ecadd917e.jpg

Thank you all for your comments.

You have persuaded me to go for the plinthless idea. It’s easier that way and, as you say, the plinth/big gap looks worse than the slight tilt I get without it.

Hamish said:
 “... I only fit the one for racing and no-one has ever commented on the look being odd...”

But that could well be that you are going so fast, uphill, that no one has had a chance to get a good look.

Deggers said:
“ …Or go full ‘wonk-less’, and opt for the wraparound…”

Ahhh. If I’d seen that picture before I might have tried to make a removable version.

Dan said:
“…you may need to reinforce the scuttle with a bracket on the underside…”

The uprights I have will fit up close to the capping above the dash, which is double skinned as such, so hopefully there will be enough strength already. Also thanks for the approval of the design. I only decided to make my own because I had most of the materials in the garage anyway. The only bits I had to buy were the uprights, which are actually “Fiddle rail brackets” (I’d never heard of them before). So apart from the time involved, the screen cost just £12,

Rob said:
“…I don't think the 'Brooklands' screens are as wide as yours…”

Good point. I looked at pictures of the Brooklands version and made a guess at the dimensions. Mine is 12 ½ ins across the bottom ali rail. The mounting uprights are 14 ½ centre to centre.
If you can find the time to measure yours I be grateful to know how it compares.

Thanks again, everyone.

Charlie.

5 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Good point. I looked at pictures of the Brooklands version and made a guess at the dimensions. Mine is 12 ½ ins across the bottom ali rail. The mounting uprights are 14 ½ centre to centre.
If you can find the time to measure yours I be grateful to know how it compares.

The screen frames are 31cm (12.2 ins) wide and the fixings 32.5cm (12.8 ins)  apart. 

15 minutes ago, RobH said:

The screen frames are 31cm (12.2 ins) wide and the fixings 32.5cm (12.8 ins)  apart. 

Thanks Rob.

So my uprights are 0,85 ins wider each side of center. Probably enough to make the slope look more than usual.

I've looked into moving the uprights inboard of the screen arms, but there is not enough clearance to allow the screen to pivot.

I think I'll just live with what I've got.

Regards,

Charlie.