Hogies TR3S up for auction.

As the car leaves Hogie's care and as the years pass, people will forget that this is not XHP939, but a nicely contrived tribute and very rapid car, albeit with the wrong engine.

Ian Cornish

Have to ask what happened to the real X628? I saw its bodyshell many years ago and there was an article on it a few years back in Triumph World and it looked to be pretty complete then?

Derek

David

you are correct the remains where advertised and offered for sale by the late owners Son , and yes the price was rather large , and as far as I know are still for sale .

However  the body chassis ,correct Sabrina engine and gearbox do still exist ,along with a few other parts ,  so there is still a possibility of a original Tr3s being saved .

graham

10 minutes ago, tr graham said:

David

you are correct the remains where advertised and offered for sale by the late owners Son , and yes the price was rather large , and as far as I know are still for sale .

However  the body chassis ,correct Sabrina engine and gearbox do still exist ,along with a few other parts ,  so there is still a possibility of a original Tr3s being saved .

graham

Graham, 

Do all these bits exist in the one place with the one owner ? Presumably not…otherwise why not sell the lot as a works cars remains and realise a really substantial sum. But of course not now with it’s original registration.

Mick Richards

Mick

no the parts are not with one owner , but if they where and a submission was made to the DVLA with the correct evidence and paperwork to match it may be possible to re unite car and registration.

graham

12 hours ago, tr graham said:

Mick

no the parts are not with one owner , but if they where and a submission was made to the DVLA with the correct evidence and paperwork to match it may be possible to re unite car and registration.

graham

Which would then cancel Hogies ID and make it a Q plate car.

Stuart.

This is a very nice car  But a recreation around only a number plate. Great job done.

The real parts are still out there which is great news and if they could be reunited would make a truly historical delight.

The trouble is with time these copies have a habit of  becoming real.

Edited by roy53
re phrase

Makes for a desirable bargain against the ‘ex works original’ MGB 

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/silverstone-auctions/catalogue-id-ibsil10056/lot-af875331-eec4-4403-a460-ae3f00bc8995

So what does original mean to a MGB buyer?

15 hours ago, ntc said:

No sale at 67k

Given that it is a replica with the wrong engine I would have thought that was a decent price. I like the bit in the advert where it says the owner has "legal title to the number", so presumably bought the number from somewhere. Probably the only thing original on the car.

Ralph

On 3/3/2022 at 5:47 PM, roy53 said:

This is a very nice car  But a recreation around only a number plate. Great job done.

The real parts are still out there which is great news and if they could be reunited would make a truly historical delight.

The trouble is with time these copies have a habit of  becoming real.

To true, and unfortunately more common than most would appreciate. There was a rash of 'works' Triumph plates issued in the 80/90's when it was relativity easy to fool the DVLA into punting them out.  

On 3/10/2022 at 8:37 AM, multipletriumphsinner said:

To true, and unfortunately more common than most would appreciate. There was a rash of 'works' Triumph plates issued in the 80/90's when it was relativity easy to fool the DVLA into punting them out.  

That a big statement……do we know which ones were issued?

On 3/13/2022 at 8:26 PM, iain said:

That a big statement……do we know which ones were issued?

I own Le Mans class winning Spitfire ADU 4B. It has fantastic continuous provenance. However after 1965 Le Mans it was taken on by the Swiss National Racing team, and was never returned to Canley. Eventually it ended up in the USA in the hands of a very well known collector, so no problem there.

Imagine my surprise when we imported it back home to Coventry, and applied to the DVLA for a V5 to find out it was currently registered to someone else!

I also own 6003VC Vitesse, originally one of the 1963 works Monte team cars. However this car is a recreation done by John Wooley and rallied very successfully throughout the late 1980's, and early 90's.  John simply applied for the registration when he built the car, and the DVLA issued it. Although it went through several other owners before I got it I suffered from the attention of a certain Mr G Robson who continually put pen to paper to the effect that i was passing it off as the original even though it was a very well known car in its own right (because of its 80/90s rallying history), and I had nothing to do with its build, or registration, A few blunt emails to Mr R eventually put him right.

I have another couple of ex works cars that I bought from Pete Clarke (ex works mechanic) many years ago. Again fantastic provenance, straight from the factory after there works career directly into the hands of Pete, but  both of their identities currently grace not very convincing replicas.

I could go on.

In short if you are ever in the lucky position to potentially purchase an ex-works car do your research. Provenance is everything, go through them with a fine tooth comb, treat any gaps in the cars history with suspicion, and chase up previous owners. Be very suspicious of any car that 're-appeared' in the 80/90's. Thankfully its far more difficult to 'find' and re-register an ex-works car now (or it should be).

It could be worse, at least its not ex works Mini's.

27 minutes ago, multipletriumphsinner said:

I own Le Mans class winning Spitfire ADU 4B. It has fantastic continuous provenance. However after 1965 Le Mans it was taken on by the Swiss National Racing team, and was never returned to Canley. Eventually it ended up in the USA in the hands of a very well known collector, so no problem there.

Imagine my surprise when we imported it back home to Coventry, and applied to the DVLA for a V5 to find out it was currently registered to someone else!

I also own 6003VC Vitesse, originally one of the 1963 works Monte team cars. However this car is a recreation done by John Wooley and rallied very successfully throughout the late 1980's, and early 90's.  John simply applied for the registration when he built the car, and the DVLA issued it. Although it went through several other owners before I got it I suffered from the attention of a certain Mr G Robson who continually put pen to paper to the effect that i was passing it off as the original even though it was a very well known car in its own right (because of its 80/90s rallying history), and I had nothing to do with its build, or registration, A few blunt emails to Mr R eventually put him right.

I have another couple of ex works cars that I bought from Pete Clarke (ex works mechanic) many years ago. Again fantastic provenance, straight from the factory after there works career directly into the hands of Pete, but  both of their identities currently grace not very convincing replicas.

I could go on.

In short if you are ever in the lucky position to potentially purchase an ex-works car do your research. Provenance is everything, go through them with a fine tooth comb, treat any gaps in the cars history with suspicion, and chase up previous owners. Be very suspicious of any car that 're-appeared' in the 80/90's. Thankfully its far more difficult to 'find' and re-register an ex-works car now (or it should be).

It could be worse, at least its not ex works Mini's.

Know the feeling, one of my old TR3 a Devon car all its life is now a famous rally car.

Stuart.

And as for TR5s it’s to their owners credit that for a small build model there are so many remaining :ph34r: and in excellent condition having been totally renovated.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 12:59 AM, Motorsport Mickey said:

And as for TR5s it’s to their owners credit that for a small build model there are so many remaining :ph34r: and in excellent condition having been totally renovated.

Mick Richards

They built 7,500 Mini Cooper S in Australia. 15,000 of them are still on the road. Quite remarkable!

Saw a TRS on the Facebook TR3 group. I am told it is a genuine TRS.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/123864950088