Glove box lock

Hello everyone.

After 51 years of service, my glovebox lock has decided it wants to retire. The problem I have is that I can’t push the barrel in anymore to operate the mechanism.  Fortunately I managed to open the glove box door and have taken out the lock.  The striker that would retract when the barrel is pushed won’t now operate.  Can I take the lock apart somehow and if so how, or is a new lock needed?

cheers

dave

Hi Dave,

It looks like a one piece casting with the front cover swaged on to hold it together.

To open it up you would have to unravel the swage and then turn it over when putting it back. I think this will not happen.

Replacement is not cheap. The glove box lock is £40. A complete set is £100+

I'm sure Ebay is rife with them but that will produce another key to play with.

I'll have a look in my stash tomorrow.

Roger

Thanks for your reply Roger.

I thought I would take the plunge and buy a new one and it’s been delivered today.  After less than ten presses of the button, that too has broken - not in the same way - the striker won’t depress far enough. 

Just another piece of junk sent from the supplier without testing it beforehand - close to £50 delivered - disappointing.

If you do have a reliable spare with key Roger, or anyone else, then can you let me know please.

in the meantime I will be drop kicking the lock back to the seller.

cheers

dave

16 hours ago, aardvark said:

Thanks for your reply Roger.

I thought I would take the plunge and buy a new one and it’s been delivered today.  After less than ten presses of the button, that too has broken - not in the same way - the striker won’t depress far enough. 

Just another piece of junk sent from the supplier without testing it beforehand - close to £50 delivered - disappointing.

If you do have a reliable spare with key Roger, or anyone else, then can you let me know please.

in the meantime I will be drop kicking the lock back to the seller.

cheers

dave

Who was the supplier so we know not to use them.

Stuart.

It was TRGB. They tested all the black ones and they all were faulty in the same way - seemingly ok until after a few presses of the button and then the latch won’t retract the full way. They only work properly if the key is in the lock so the barrel is aligned. 

They told me that the locks are made by one company who supply everyone. 

Hi Richard,

I have one glove box lock that works as a press button but I can't insert any key.

I have another lock where the spring loaded latch is actually missing !!

If you want the functioning one(no key) then I can send it to you.

Roger 

The key number is stamped on the lock barrel usually probably at the bottom so just have to get a key same number.

It is possible to make a lock work with your existing ignition key or door key by changing the plungers around. You just need a few old lock barrels and can then spend a few happy hours changing around the plungers until the keys fit.

Alternatively see if TRGB can supply one with the same key number as the original. Many years ago I replaced the door locks and spent some time rummaging around in the box full of locks at TRGB so I wouldn't have different keys for everything.

Keith

6 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,

I have one glove box lock that works as a press button but I can't insert any key.

I have another lock where the spring loaded latch is actually missing !!

If you want the functioning one(no key) then I can send it to you.

Roger 

Thanks for the reply Roger.  I’ve managed to find an original beaten up lock.  I’ve cleaned it all up and it’s working smoothly now.  So thanks for the offer of your spare, but I no longer need it.  I’ve managed to find someone on eBay who has an original key in FK series which I’m assured will fit.  Does anyone know if the original keys were FK or FS ?

cheers

dave

4 hours ago, keith1948 said:

The key number is stamped on the lock barrel usually probably at the bottom so just have to get a key same number.

It is possible to make a lock work with your existing ignition key or door key by changing the plungers around. You just need a few old lock barrels and can then spend a few happy hours changing around the plungers until the keys fit.

Alternatively see if TRGB can supply one with the same key number as the original. Many years ago I replaced the door locks and spent some time rummaging around in the box full of locks at TRGB so I wouldn't have different keys for everything.

Keith

Thanks for your reply Keith.  The problem is that the lock body is swaged onto the front piece.  So to get them apart I think you would mulla the front cover such that it wouldn’t then go back on.

TRGB have been quick to accept a problem with their stock and have sent me an original lock in the post - see post above.

cheers Dave