TR6 Horn Slip Ring Securing Tabs - Horn Sounding Intermittently on its own !

I have had a problem with the horn sounding on its own when pressure is applied to one side of the steering wheel. Rather embarrassing at times! On investigation, two of the horn slip ring retaining tabs have broken off. One has remained in place but loose and appears to have been rubbing the bottom of the Moto Lita steering wheel boss. Are these tabs actually part of the steering column? I am loath to touch the remaining tabs in case they  break off too !! Got a run coming up next weekend ! If they are part of the column I will have to find a way to secure the slip ring in place.  A couple of blobs of Araldite might do the trick. I hope this is my problem with the horn or has anyone got other ideas?

MARK 

It does not need to be the ring, as this is in continuous connection with the spring-loaded bush.

More likely it is the push button device, or the connection to it.

Waldi

I thought this was how TR6s worked!

My horn did this - as you say it can be embarrassing sometimes, especially if someone is crossing in front of you!

From memory I cured mine by doing as Roger says above and make sure there is a gap between the hub and the column.

Mind you my horn has a mind of its own anyway - works sometimes (on the way to the MOT) and then suddenly stops working (whilst being tested for the MOT).

Roger

I had this issue also. Also check the following. I thought it was the spring loaded bush as it was inserted 'upside down' - corrected but the problem continued. Found that that the Boss of the Moto Lita wheel (when a slight side movement/ pressure occurred) touched the brass ring creating an unintended circuit. Cured (as Roger's observation) by removing the (s/wheel &) Boss and carefully filing the base of the (alloy) Boss to fractionally reduce the depth (the reduction is still not visible at the switch cowling/ cover) gradually until no contact occurs. Before removal of the Boss, mark the Boss and top of the steering shaft to maintain alignment of splines on replacement. I have heard of this issue before with non standards/wheel Boss. This on the assumption the 'ring' issue may not directly be the cause.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Mark,

is there a gap (1 or 2mm) between the steering wheel hub and the steering column cowling.

Roger

Yes, that’s more likely!

2 hours ago, BarryC said:

I had this issue also. Also check the following. I thought it was the spring loaded bush as it was inserted 'upside down' - corrected but the problem continued. Found that that the Boss of the Moto Lita wheel (when a slight side movement/ pressure occurred) touched the brass ring creating an unintended circuit. Cured (as Roger's observation) by removing the (s/wheel &) Boss and carefully filing the base of the (alloy) Boss to fractionally reduce the depth (the reduction is still not visible at the switch cowling/ cover) gradually until no contact occurs. Before removal of the Boss, mark the Boss and top of the steering shaft to maintain alignment of splines on replacement. I have heard of this issue before with non standards/wheel Boss. This on the assumption the 'ring' issue may not directly be the cause.

I had to do the same. There might have been a batch of Moto Lita steering wheels made with extended bosses back in the early 1990's.

Thanks as ever for info Roger. Slip ring secured with some epoxy.  Steering column adjusted under the bonnet to allow gap between column and boss (also advocated by John Morrison who has had the same problem) No longer sounding on its own!!!! Just need a longer contact on horn push or the longer spring pencil connector to make it work !!!

Thanks everyone for the input on what seems to be quite a common problem ! The joys of owning these TR' s is sorting out these obscure problems !! Or are we masochists ? !!:D:blink:

MARK