More DVLA problems! Any suggestions appreciated.

Three weeks ago I visited my local post office having just re taxed my TR7 on line after two months SORN. The reason was to enquire about having my car re classified as “historic” for free RFL as it was 40 years old. I should have realised that the counter assistant didn’t have a clue how to handle this and not taken their advice.

To cut a long story short, they took the first part of the V5 which I had filled in to change the taxation class to Historic. They also took my original Heritage Certificate which confirmed the build date asJuly ‘81 although the car wasn’t first registered until July ‘82. So, I attached a note to say “please return this certificate. 
Today I received a registration document from the DVLA which is exactly the same as my original. The taxation class has not been changed to historic and yes, you’ve guessed it, my Heritage Certificate has gone AWOL.

I have spent some time googling “ contact the DVLA “ and explored every avenue. The phone number was answered with a recorded message telling me to go onto the website and then cut off. The chat line is no longer available. The email contact has yet to give a result.

so I’ve lost my £45 Heritage Certificate and I’m no further forth. BLOODY DVLA! Any suggestions gratefully received, Rodders.

I think that the historic entitlement runs from 1 April 2022 for a vehicle built before 31 December 1981, so I suspect that it isn't due for another month.

Might be mistaken, but I always thought that is 40 years and a bit minimum

(because I'm looking forwards to my March 1983 Land Rover becoming historic in April 2024)

That is a sad tale. My local post office changed my TR7 to Historic there and then. All they needed was the VIN I think. Must have been a more experienced postmaster.

However, the 40 years had passed beyond the Registration date, not build date. If you wait until after July then it might be more straightforward.

Perhaps a note to Gaydon will enable you to get a reprint of your certificate?

Jerry.