20 minutes ago, Andrew Rogers said:

Has anyone had any experience with fitting electric power steering to a standard TR3 standard steering column and box ?
I have heard of a firm called EZ Power Steering based in Holland and England and although they boast it’s many advantages I’d rather hear from someone who’s actually tried it.  

Thanks

I did look at their conversion for a TR6 quite a while ago but I wasnt very happy with the way it would be fitted and at that time their UK rep wasnt very helpful plus it needed a very heavy duty power supply as well.

Stuart.

I have my own power steering.

Namely, 50+ press ups every morning before my commute to work. It's free, GRATIS, for nothing.

David

Hello Andrew 

This how I have done one on out Vitesse

Vitesse power steering - Suspension, Handling, Tyres and Brakes - Sideways Technologies (sideways-technologies.co.uk)

Roger

Edited by rogerguzzi
9 hours ago, stuart said:

..... needed a very heavy duty power supply as well.

Stuart.

I'v been told they ask for a 6 or 10 mm² wire and a 50 or 60 A fuse?

If this is the case they simply don't know better and only look on the producers data sheet.

From my experiments no special cable (max 2.5 mm²), fuse (max 16A), generator (standard) or battery (standard) is needed.

Because the regulator of the EPS only supports you as much as needed - and this is max 50 Watt on the rack and pinion TRs.

And more you can't power with your arms.

The current I determined is 0.5 A / 6 W driving without steering, this is needed to keep the CPU working.

And max. 4 A / 50 W in situations when steering while parking.

The needed electric power for the EPS unit in a car which you can also drive without EPS is not worth to spend any thought on it.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
13 hours ago, Z320 said:

I'v been told they ask for a 6 or 10 mm² wire and a 50 or 60 A fuse?

If this is the case they simply don't know better and only look on the producers data sheet.

From my experiments no special cable (max 2.5 mm²), fuse (max 16A), generator (standard) or battery (standard) is needed.

Because the regulator of the EPS only supports you as much as needed - and this is max 50 Watt on the rack and pinion TRs.

And more you can't power with your arms.

The current I determined is 0.5 A / 6 W driving without steering, this is needed to keep the CPU working.

And max. 4 A / 50 W in situations when steering while parking.

The needed electric power for the EPS unit in a car which you can also drive without EPS is not worth to spend any thought on it.

Ciao, Marco

The Ezy unit is different to the one that you tried Marco, AFIK there is no ECU with it, its a constant running unit with no speed modulation.

Stuart.

Any EPS unit in a TR with the need for more electrical power than you can power with your arms in a relatively unlucky position (sitting comfortable in your seat)…..

guides you direct in the hedges