Steering wheel ?

Hi all

just a general question really as I am about to check out a steering wheel for my 1972 model and was wondering if there were any real taboos,I intend to remove the original wheel and store it and I have settled on a semi dished wheel and I think I will need a boss etc.I am hoping this will afford me a little more room so any comments would as usual be very much appreciated 

nige

My original wheel on the 6 literally broke as I turned off the M69 - fortunately the other 2 spokes held!

Fitted a leather Moto-Lita - slightly smaller than the original one and been quite happy for 30+ years.

The already had a wooden Moto-Lita when I got it. A few issues with the horn but that seemed to be related to the slip ring being loose rather than the boss.

The leather ones feel nicer than the wooden ones to me.

11 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

My original wheel on the 6 literally broke as I turned off the M69 - fortunately the other 2 spokes held!

Fitted a leather Moto-Lita - slightly smaller than the original one and been quite happy for 30+ years.

The already had a wooden Moto-Lita when I got it. A few issues with the horn but that seemed to be related to the slip ring being loose rather than the boss.

The leather ones feel nicer than the wooden ones to me.

I think its the luck of the draw with the Moto-Lita boss, 3 or 4 of our local group have issues with self operating horns and the common factor is all have aftermarket wheel bosses. I suspect its caused by variations in how far the boss goes down the shaft.

George 

1 hour ago, harlequin said:

I think its the luck of the draw with the Moto-Lita boss, 3 or 4 of our local group have issues with self operating horns and the common factor is all have aftermarket wheel bosses. I suspect its caused by variations in how far the boss goes down the shaft.

George 

+1

When I bought my 69 car in 72 the original black spoke 15" wheel was in the boot/trunk and the car had been fitted with a flat 13" motalita wheel, which was way to hard to turn when parking! So I refitted the original which whilst much easier to use I found the original wheels deep boss brought the wheel too close to me and I found was uncomfortable thin to hold. So I fitted a 14" MOMO which has a very short 2" boss, which meant shortening the original spring loaded horn push.      

I have a Nardi wheel that I picked up at an auto jumble 20 years ago. As its not possible to get a dedicated nardi hub for a TR6 I turned the original hub 180° and turned up a 10mm thick adapter that has countersunk holes to pick up the hub and tapped holes for the whheel

George 

20220303_124340.jpg

On 3/3/2022 at 10:38 AM, harlequin said:

George 

I have been afflicted by this too, it went away when I renewed the column bush though. 

There is a raised lip on the boss that shorts out on slip ring. If the new bush hadn't worked the boss was destined for my Lathe to have the lip turned down.