Running cool

Strange one this. Temperature gauge failed on the Pyrenees Rally. Long saga but have a replacement. Fitted and the car runs up to temperature , 70 degree stat with shroud. Get the boss to take me for a run and temperature drops to 1/4 quite quickly and stays there. Fan is not running. If left stationary and left to idle it runs back unto normal, 185, and beyond until electric fan kicks in.

IR temperature gauge on top hose tends to suggest that the gauge is accurate, 85c showing as 185 on the gauge. 
I have used two stats and both have been tested in the kitchen, they open and close simultaneously and within the correct range.

So has anyone got any ideas as to what is happening? 
Cheers

Iain

The stat is doing what it is supposed to do.   Opening at 70.

Fit a warmer thermostat to bring up the running temp.  I run an 82 wax stat with a restrictor of 10 mm in the bypass ( same arrangement as 4A had)   Temp comes up to 185 and hovers around there in all driving/stuck in traffic conditions.

Years ago I used to seasonally swap thermostats, a 72 in the summer and an 86 in the winter.  Nice warm heater when needed on those winter commutes and cool engine in the summer on the same journey.

Me too, I run an 88°C stat all year round with no problems, gauge comes up to just under 185°F unless in traffic,

fan kicks in at 92°C if I don't switch it on myself (which I usually do)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nigel,

yes I changed to an 82 and it’s better, but still slightly cool. Just got back from a rally to the French Alps and all was good apart from being slightly cool…..maybe and 88 would be even better in the cooler months.

Iain

A little club in mid France. We did Troyes - Col De Turini - Monaco ………I’m not looking at the fuel bill :-(

Lois was a star again and did all the driving……I’m still banned by the surgeon, fingers crossed not tooooo long now.

Great scenery again

image.thumb.jpeg.322b0852d8b8834221e172fe904b2a5c.jpeg

59 minutes ago, iain said:

A little club in mid France. We did Troyes - Col De Turini - Monaco ………I’m not looking at the fuel bill :-(

Lois was a star again and did all the driving……I’m still banned by the surgeon, fingers crossed not tooooo long now.

Great scenery again

get well soon Iain and well done Lois that's a long way to drive solo

Suzie was getting used to the new engine yesterday ;)

cool day but car kept up to temperature :D

H

D6CC6A4E-FCCB-400A-9DE2-69B552F2ADE0.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Pic
4 hours ago, iain said:

Great scenery again

Well done Lois, and we’ll done to you as well, that car of yours certainly gets around.

Rgds Ian