1974 TR6 Gauges

Morning all. I've been spending time looking at my four small gauges (see photo).

The oil pressure and voltage start at zero, and read accurately.

The temperature always starts below zero, rises up to the center and  has been checked to be 85°C when the electric fan kicks in. Likewise the fuel gauge starts below zero, rises up and reads approx. correct.

My question is, should the temperature and fuel gauge read zero with ignition off and then rise to the appropriate correct reading? What does yours do?

PS I have rebuilt the voltage stabilizer circuit using LM7810/capacitor circuit and its rock steady at 10V dc.

Gauges.jpg

Thanks all for the replies. So the conclusion is: voltage and oil pressure readings always rest at zero, but fuel and temperature start negative of zero and end up at the appropriate reading. Many thanks, there's nothing more to further investigate.

Regards, Colin.

5 hours ago, CP26309 said:

The two dashboards illustrated have their Volts & Temp gauges transposed! Is this a L/H V R/H drive factory thing? On my UK R/H drive CP car the Temp gauge is on the left. 

My car was originally a LHD CR imported from USA, and converted to RHD CP injection in 1997, so I guess this is why it reflects the opposite of a UK car.

Never knew that. \but does your temperature and fuel gauge react like mine, ie always below zero until ignition switched on ? 

Ah OK thanks Chris. Its not really a problem with the temp and fuel gauge starting below zero with ignition switch off. The fuel quickly comes up to the appropriate level, but the temperature takes much longer.

Guess its dependent on the actual resistance of the temperature sender when you switch on from cold?

Colin. 

On 3/3/2022 at 6:19 PM, c.hydes said:

My car was originally a LHD CR imported from USA, and converted to RHD CP injection in 1997, so I guess this is why it reflects the opposite of a UK car.

Never knew that. \but does your temperature and fuel gauge react like mine, ie always below zero until ignition switched on ? 

Yes!