Door window adjustment

Hi Stuart, Hi Rob.

Well after a hundred measurements I definitely have 6 glass. I'm going to take the glass out of the mechanism and push it into the opening to see the fit, if it's not too bad then I know it's adjustments.

I'll keep you informed, Mark.

Just gone and measured the 4 glass, I definitely have 6 glass, I guess it's a case of playing with adjustments.

Thanks Mark

Edited by marki

Oh well it was only a thought as the small difference has caught out a lot of people over the years. Its not so critical with a soft top but it does really show up when fitting a hard top.

Stuart.

7 minutes ago, marki said:

Hi Stuart.

Yes the difference is minimal but it would have explained the problem.

Mark.

FWIW I have fitted a small wedge of wood in the channel where the glass sits to slightly alter the angle if all else fails and also filed out the mounting holes for the winder mechanism. The guy who does my engines and g/boxes had a pair of side windows cut to fit his Surrey equipped 4a many years ago when the right glasses werent available and his are the best fitting ones Ive ever come across.

Stuart.

40 minutes ago, marki said:

Hi Stuart.

I did think of putting something in the channel to alter the angle.

Just make sure that the channel still holds the glass tight as its a real pain if after a few days the glass slips out of the channel!

Stuart.

Great share guys, thanks for that. I am a million miles away from those problems sadly (slow progress) but I noted before I dismantled the car that that window profile at the back was exactly as per Marki's photos and was wondering how to deal with it. I am going to have to take on and off doors lots of time for sure but wasn't looking forward to putting a hard top on and off lots of times whilst rebuilding. I won't now, I'll stick with the doors and hope that the hacks and fixes mentioned above work when the roof comes into it.

33 minutes ago, TRier said:

Great share guys, thanks for that. I am a million miles away from those problems sadly (slow progress) but I noted before I dismantled the car that that window profile at the back was exactly as per Marki's photos and was wondering how to deal with it. I am going to have to take on and off doors lots of time for sure but wasn't looking forward to putting a hard top on and off lots of times whilst rebuilding. I won't now, I'll stick with the doors and hope that the hacks and fixes mentioned above work when the roof comes into it.

Point being its easier to fit a hardtop when your building up the car on a total rebuild compared to trying to fit a hardtop to a car thats finished and on the road.;)

Stuart.

Mark,

if all fails, you can have a glas made to your specific dimensions (make a template from multiplex). I once broke a from screen from an xk140 (also flat glass), to my surpriseit was cheap (100 pounds for the pair).

Waldi

Hi Waldi.

That's interesting about the window manufacturing, who did you use ?

TRier, stick with it, its worth the effort.

Cheers Mark.

Edited by marki

The reason I fitted the new seal area was that I did not want to keep adjusting the window within the door when it was a good fit with the screen and soft top, but even then the hard top seal curves when it gets near to the screen frame so would have trouble getting that perfect seal, but it should have been correct when they left the factory. But having a new Spitfire in 1977 nothing fitted right.

11 hours ago, marki said:

Hi Waldi.

That's interesting about the window manufacturing, who did you use ?

Hi Mark,

I live in the Netherlands so used a company located near where I live. They also fit glass for boats etc.

There must (should) be similar companies in the UK?

Cheers,
Waldi