I was given some Triumph photos by a friend whose wife works in a charity shop. The photos were donated to the shop and most of them seem to come from the late 40s/ early 50s.

When I first saw this I thought early TR2, then noticed the odd little side lights. Next I realised the back end is all wrong. Could this be the car that went to the motor show as the concept car that lead to the TR range

Neil

TRwhat20220226_09165257.thumb.jpg.2ca4442ed247a367e2f84c7e6c88d24c.jpg

54 minutes ago, Stagpowered said:

I was given some Triumph photos by a friend whose wife works in a charity shop. The photos were donated to the shop and most of them seem to come from the late 40s/ early 50s.

When I first saw this I thought early TR2, then noticed the odd little side lights. Next I realised the back end is all wrong. Could this be the car that went to the motor show as the concept car that lead to the TR range

Neil

I think this photo is shown in the Triumph TRs book by Graham Robson, and yes the short "bob tail" bodywork was the Earls Court Motor Show car...I think !

Mick Richards

The SHP car seems to have door handles. But I thought they did not come in until the 3A.

Could this be another prototype?

The road could well be the A45 near Ryton. (Although I suppose it could be anywhere...)

Charlie.

14 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

The SHP car seems to have door handles. But I thought they did not come in until the 3A.

Could this be another prototype?

The road could well be the A45 near Ryton. (Although I suppose it could be anywhere...)

Charlie.

Door handles came with the "Continental kit" which is the hardtop and those sidescreens, there are as you can see no plinths on the doors. SHP was a factory car

Stuart.

photo 1 (2).JPG

Edited by stuart
2 hours ago, Stagpowered said:

Neil

Thats 20TS essentially the TR2 prototype with early Vanguard chassis and spare incorporated in the back panel, apparently drove like a bag of sh1t so was broken up

Shown at one of the motor shows.

Stuart.

Wonderful, Neil! Well done. What a find!

Very exciting to see these photographs. I wonder, if they are actual (wet photography/analogue) prints, and whether the Register Archive in Didcot does not have copies, would it be worth making copies (s/s) same size, I'm guessing 10×8s, to give the Register? They look as if they have no blemishes whatsoever.

Ciao,

David

Another query about one of these photographs. This one!

TR220220226_10105041.thumb.jpg.0d1aa999951e427b2d56ca98cdc874f5.jpg.e9744c3cd5242e6607cfb4f0b4f8bb00.jpg

Has anyone ever seen TR3 sidescreens with the aluminium rail-type fastening, instead of lift-a-dots?

I haven't. And, secondly, if they have never been reproduced, would it conceivably be a worthwhile project?

Personally, I find them very attractive. Don't you?

Another question. In the other photograph, there's Ken Richardson, and, I think, Paddy Hopkirk. Who are the other two?

David

Edited by DavidBee

Hi David, that’s another Gt kit part. The sidescreens had to be none removable to classify for the Gt class in European rally’s. It’s a chromed brass strip. SHP520 was a works car, used in the MM in 1957, Nancy Mitchell retired early on.

Here's my car similarly equipped on the Monte Recce.image.thumb.jpeg.287b050bfcb9c54c5b7605ba4cb7a208.jpegTo answer your other question, Willy Cave and Kit Heathcote.

Edited by iain
Correction
2 minutes ago, iain said:

Hi David, that’s another Gt kit part. The sidescreens had to be none removable to classify for the Gt class in European rally’s. It’s a chromed brass strip. SHP520 was a works car, used in the MM in 1957, Nancy Mitchell retired early on.

Here's my car similarly equipped on the Monte Recce.image.thumb.jpeg.287b050bfcb9c54c5b7605ba4cb7a208.jpeg

I knew you would be able to confirm the existence of the ‘continental’ sidescreen lower retainers Iain.

9 hours ago, stuart said:

Thats 20TS essentially the TR2 prototype with early Vanguard chassis and spare incorporated in the back panel, apparently drove like a bag of sh1t so was broken up

Shown at one of the motor shows.

Stuart.

Wasn't TS20 built on a Standard nine chassis, Ken Richardson declared it a deathtrap.

John.

3 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I knew you would be able to confirm the existence of the ‘continental’ sidescreen lower retainers Iain.

Quite right Peter, Continental, I have one ……I need the other!…..not sure why , permanently fixed sidescreens would be a bore, but for the sake of originality:-)

Iain

Graham Robson or Dave Gleed might have been able to identify the other two fellows in the photo, but, alas, no longer with us.

Shot might have been prior to the 1956 Alpine Rally, as Paddy drove SRW991, and Ken drove SHP520.  Their navigators in the Alpine were Willy Cave and (Kit?) Heathcote, but I don't know whether they are the other chaps in the photo.  In Reydellet's invaluable Tome 1, Ken's navigator is a very tall fellow with glasses (as seen here), and Paddy's navigator (in a very small group photo), is smartly dressed, with a tie (as seen here).

Ian Cornish

12 hours ago, iain said:

Quite right Peter, Continental, I have one ……I need the other!…..not sure why , permanently fixed sidescreens would be a bore, but for the sake of originality:-)

Iain

As I think I have said previously, Many years ago I used to make ‘pin beading’ for a vintage car trimming company.  That was a 3/8” wide half round brass strip section filled with lead plus it had pins/nails set in the lead to enable tacking into timber body frames.    What you need is the stuff with studs set in the lead instead of nails.   Forming the ends would need a simple tapering form tool of punch and die, same as used on wing beads.  The ends would probably have to be formed before lead filling, but I am not sure how you would hold the brass strip to lead fill it,  if it has fully finished ends.   You have to clamp its length like a piano string and fill under continual tension, because it goes everywhere when you apply the flame to tin and then melt in the lead.    You have to coat the outer surface with whiting or the lead happily adheres to that and you have a major clean off job on your hands.  Vintage owners want smooth shiny brass which they then smother in cellulose paint.

Pin beading is still available at £100 a 2 meter length   https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/295-container-pin-beading-lead-filled-brass   Perhaps buy a length and let brass screws into the lead by heating locally.   You would need to tin the brass screws and/or use a lot of flux.   you might get away without the brass taking on a snake like shape after heating ……Forming the ends would be fun too.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT