Iriduim Spark Plugs

1 hour ago, Richard Crawley said:

Decided to stick with standard NGK plugs in the end as cylinders 1-4 never seem to have a problem so have ordered 4 x BP6ES & 2 x BP5ES for cylinders 5 & 6. Thanks to all for your input.

One presumes you have cleaned the plenum chamber inside?

2 hours ago, Richard Crawley said:

Not sure what that would do as it's the clean air side of the throttle bodies so just clean & filtered air comming through there! I do keep the air filter in good order though.

It’s fact by design that oil mist and condensed vapour collect at the low point you don’t have this problem with Weber’s or SUs

18 hours ago, Z320 said:

The gap on all of my Bosch WR78G is about 0.8 mm and it is not designed to adjust, 

and it is OK this way

Hello Marco

They are probably ok on standard coil system at 0.030" to 0.035" but the 1.1mm (0.040" to 0.044") would probably miss fire.

I run a VW Bosch type coil pack which gives higher voltage as all moderns do

Roger

Neil, Richard,

Just to help my understanding:- the oil mist and condensed vapours come from the rocker cover connection to the plenum chamber?. I have got the arrestor set up so it drains back as much as it can to the rocker but even with that I can see there will be vapours / mist that will carry into the air plenum. I did last year clean up / set up the throttle and air systems. The air plenum was dirty inside and gave it good clean but probably first time its been cleaned in 20 + years so not too bad I thought. I also change air filter pretty regularly as I do get dust although it is mainly on one side of filter. But hadn’t linked carry over from rocker cover with plug condition - useful to know.

2 hours ago, ntc said:

It’s fact by design that oil mist and condensed vapour collect at the low point you don’t have this problem with Weber’s or SUs

I understand the rocker cover breather is attached but there is an in-line arrestor & in all the years I've had the car, I've never had problems with emulsification inside the plenum. Thre plenum was fine inside when cleaned, refurbished & rebuilt @ 82k miles & the car still hasn't reached 90k miles since but that's another story!

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would not recommend a hotter plug in #5 & #6. Fix the problem?
If i had a "Lumenition" system, I would buy the lowest Ohmic coil it could drive. If it can only drive a "Lucas Sports coil", then not much more energy than OEM.