Felt on front bearing

Hi everybody I have been reading about a felt washer of sorts needed on the front bearing but I cannot see anything on mine and I upload some pictures for clarity can I get some advice please?

Richard

16455948033417671201899370954836.jpg

16455948275628101432440068991540.jpg

164559485043030061048211925250.jpg

Item 37 here:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/steering-suspension/front-suspension/front-suspension-tr5-6-1967-76.html

As Jochem says - it sits on the stub axle behind the hub. 

Edited by RobH

I think that is the felt washer that is often supplied too thick and has to be thinned down, I recall having problems when I bought one.

Maybe the previous owner left it out because of that.

Charlie.

34 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

I think that is the felt washer that is often supplied too thick and has to be thinned down, I recall having problems when I bought one.

Maybe the previous owner left it out because of that.

Charlie.

Youd be surprised how thick the original was to start with.

Stuart.

027.JPG

Charlie D is quite correct, the replacement felt seals are too thick as I too had problems along with many others so I gather.  I looked for and found 2 Unipart GHS 110 originals and hey presto, perfect fitment. Too many things made nowadays which don't fit, you should not have to alter something to fit after you have paid good money to purchase in the first place. Its shoddy and unnecessary. 

Alan G

6 minutes ago, cp25616 said:

Charlie D is quite correct, the replacement felt seals are too thick as I too had problems along with many others so I gather.  I looked for and found 2 Unipart GHS 110 originals and hey presto, perfect fitment. Too many things made nowadays which don't fit, you should not have to alter something to fit after you have paid good money to purchase in the first place. Its shoddy and unnecessary. 

Alan G

If you soak them in oil for a day, fit and wind up the outer nut so the whole assembly is rock tight and leave for a day or two then slack to recommended clearance then the repros do fit.

Stuart.

it's just a matter of patience as Stuart says.

Soak in oil as usual, tighten to 5 ftlbs and leave.

Come back after a day or two. and adjust the end float. Be prepared to check after a few miles and adjust accordingly.

No need to thin the seal down.

I'd suggest not buying anything from Rimmers unless a last resort nothing fits. I have a bin load of bits which once I've finished I'm going to deliver personally to their counter and ask for my money back. Utter c--p!

Back on topic as suggested I soaked them in oil and placed them between two bits of Ali with a 10lb weight on them overnight and they fitted fine. Bought from TR shop IIRC

Andy. 

Hi all, thanks for feedback.  I have a confession that I was a bit lost on what I was looking at and seems PO did a good recently before selling to me and all bearings etc are in place.  He has used a lot of red grease too and looks like a good job.

When tightening the castle nut, is it finger tight?

Richard

5 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi all, thanks for feedback.  I have a confession that I was a bit lost on what I was looking at and seems PO did a good recently before selling to me and all bearings etc are in place.  He has used a lot of red grease too and looks like a good job.

When tightening the castle nut, is it finger tight?

Richard

See workshop manual, tighten to 5lbft (0.7kgfm) then slacken one flat to allow insertion of split pin, there should be 0.003-0.005ins (0.08-0.13mm) end float.

Stuart.