Steering column and indicator self cancelling

Dear Wise Men

My indicator wont self cancel because the clip on the inner steering column is out of alignment (points to 12 o’clock dead ahead rather than 3 o’clock). I’ve been trying to disconnect the steering column so I can rotate it until the indicator cancellation clip is orientated correctly.  

I’m struggling to separate the steering column from either the upper coupling or the universal joint at the lower end. I’ve removed the clamping bolts and I’ve also removed the Allen screw + lock nut from the plate which clamps the outer + inner columns at the top. I can’t seem to shorten the steering column enough to disengage either the top or the bottom ends from their respective couplings.  

Hopefully the photos explain it better than I can in words.

Am I missing something or do I need to loosen the steering rack also ?

Thanks

David

Steering column 2.jpg

had same issue with the cancel clip not being at 9 o'clock position (US spec is opposite).

I found I had to rotate the col in your last picture at the  universal joint. Found there was no adj at the coupling due to the way they fit into bracket.

Had to remove clamp in first picture in order to make adj at bottom.

edit: not 100% sure , but if you have later car with steering col lock, make sure you have key in on position and battery off... might be reason it won't move enough to adjust?

Edited by Atl TR6
4 hours ago, WWT338J said:

Thanks 

So.... disconnect + remove the upper sliding coupling to allow the lower inner steering column to concertina back into the outer column? Can you recall how far the outer + inner steering columns overlap?

David  

David.... been a couple of years..... but here's what I recall. 

(make sure your steering is pointed straight before u do anything)

1. removed the two bolts holding the clamp on the upper col and removed the clamp  (no need to mess with allen head bolt on clamp, until reattaching clamp and checking tightness).

2. removed the bolt holding the U-joint on the steering box splines & pried the U-joint upwards.

3. rotated entire steering col until cancel clip was in right position than pushed U-joint back down over the splines. 

4. not sure if I disconnected the upper inner col from the outer, but I don't think I did.  Just make sure steering lock is not in locked position as I mentioned prior if you have later car.

On an unrelated note, once I fixed the cancel clip orientation, my horn didn't work when the key was "on". After chasing the ground problem, it turned out where the lower steering col fits into the top of the U-joint was rusted...hence no ground. De-rusted and ground returned. Think the miss-aligned steering col was finding a ground thru the steering lock somehow?  Might want to check the connection while you're in there.  Lesson learned: fixed one problem and created another.