Old Redlines... what to do

I'm going to look at a '72 that originated from CA USA and was imported back in 2010. Its got Redlines on it so I'm guessing they were the ones it came over with.
They are still being driven but have had tubes put in them I guess for safety..... As they would be over 12years old have I got a bargaining chip with them?

12 year old tyres are past their use-by date Chris, tubes or not.  It's not air leakage, it is the grip and integrity that matters. As the rubber ages it hardens so you get poorer grip and splits or cracks will occur which may result in sudden failure under load. 

That's what I thought .... what's the replacement value of a decent set of tyres, or even what tyres to replace them with. Guessing 185's as it's a USA model

If do buy it I got to drive it 800km's home :wacko:

For a cheaper and readily available replacement and what a lot of people go for these days is 195/65/15 as theyre fitted to a lot of moderns, good quality available around £50 a corner.

Stuart.

It’s already been said, old tyres are dangerous and I would add that a tubeless tyre with a gun e is an accident waiting ti happen.

Its certainly a negotiation point, O would save money on almost anything, apart from quality tyres, go for a known brand and known supplier.

Some online sellers, sell tyres that are already a few years old.

Good luck with the purchase 

Hi All

Hi All

I think these days we need to be pretty careful when buying tyres.

I doubt many of use wear them out and as has been said 10 years or so is about the limit due to rubber aging, hardness and cracking. Tyres over 10 years old are already outlawed on the steering axles of LGV’s over 3500kgs due to weight. But with a Range Rover weighing in at 2600kgs how long is it going to be before they start extending that to cars. It was being considered for taxi’s but was shelved as part of the LGV thing but who knows for how long, so we def don’t want to be buying tyres that have been on a warehouse shelf for a couple of years as per Dave Lewis’s Verdesteins.

Probably not an issue at £50 a corner for budget 195/65’s but if you go for 165R15 Pirelli CN36’s it’s a pretty big bill for a consumable wear item so we don't want that shortening because of somebody lack of stock rotation.

Cheers   Keith

On 2/21/2022 at 11:04 PM, Keith66 said:

Hi All

Hi All

I think these days we need to be pretty careful when buying tyres.

I doubt many of use wear them out and as has been said 10 years or so is about the limit due to rubber aging, hardness and cracking. Tyres over 10 years old are already outlawed on the steering axles of LGV’s over 3500kgs due to weight. But with a Range Rover weighing in at 2600kgs how long is it going to be before they start extending that to cars. It was being considered for taxi’s but was shelved as part of the LGV thing but who knows for how long, so we def don’t want to be buying tyres that have been on a warehouse shelf for a couple of years as per Dave Lewis’s Verdesteins.

Probably not an issue at £50 a corner for budget 195/65’s but if you go for 165R15 Pirelli CN36’s it’s a pretty big bill for a consumable wear item so we don't want that shortening because of somebody lack of stock rotation.

Cheers   Keith

If one is buying a top brand like Pirelli and it is a common current size, I would look at the Black Circles web site and see what their price is? You can be in for a shock?? This is where I go for tires for my daily driver. Tire Centers get nervous when you mention Black Circles.

Bruce.

On 2/20/2022 at 6:52 PM, chris172 said:

I'm going to look at a '72 that originated from CA USA and was imported back in 2010. Its got Redlines on it so I'm guessing they were the ones it came over with.
They are still being driven but have had tubes put in them I guess for safety..... As they would be over 12years old have I got a bargaining chip with them?

Redlines were OEM fitment? Those tires could be over 40 years old? Therefore in my mind it is a bin job???

Bruce.

On 2/26/2022 at 12:04 PM, astontr6 said:

Redlines were OEM fitment? Those tires could be over 40 years old? Therefore in my mind it is a bin job???

Bruce.

It's got 100k miles on it so not too sure about originals but they defo very old.... still trying to arrange a visit to see it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little restricted with choice here in Spain so need a little help.... how is this selection? 

Car is a USA carb model so ideally 185HR15 but that's not possible here and hope the 195's replace OK.

I'm drawn to the Goodyear on performance. A rated and 68db

All 195/65 R15 91v

Michelin Primacy 4

Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2

Continental Ecocontact 6

TIA

8 hours ago, chris172 said:

I'm a little restricted with choice here in Spain so need a little help.... how is this selection? 

Car is a USA carb model so ideally 185HR15 but that's not possible here and hope the 195's replace OK.

I'm drawn to the Goodyear on performance. A rated and 68db

All 195/65 R15 91v

Michelin Primacy 4

Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2

Continental Ecocontact 6

TIA

Your gearing will be out, the diff (final drive) on a US model is different to account for the 185's verses the 165's fitted to European cars. Putting a 195/65 15 on is actually even slightly smaller diameter than a 165 15. You'll be revving higher to maintain the same speeds, although acceleration will be slightly quicker. 

Gareth

This is a quick and easy tyre size comparator that I use as I go between. 
185/70x15 and 185/55x15 regularly

with a set of 175/70x15 as a spare back up. 
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

8D866F6E-672A-46F8-A28A-C5E43899C1FA.jpeg

Get rid of the ancient tyres. Probably weren't that good new and by now are likely to have scarily little grip even if unworn and if it rains you may well grow a brown daisy in your underpants.

I'm with Stuart. 195/65/15 are a good modern compromise of grip/price/rolling/diameter and availability.

You can get decently grippy tyres in the original fitment size at a price but the cheaper ones are not so good.

On 2/20/2022 at 6:52 PM, chris172 said:

You can still buy new redline tyres, so ask the vendor. If he has not fitted any tyres in his ownership since 2010 then deffo too old, but he might have bought replacements which will have a datestamp on the sidewall.

Ralph

On 2/20/2022 at 10:52 AM, chris172 said:

As they would be over 12years old have I got a bargaining chip

Ten years is a maximum

If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator. This applies to spare tires as well.

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/auto-tips-and-advice/tire-buying-guide/when-do-i-need-new-tires

On 3/16/2022 at 11:56 PM, Mk2 Chopper said:

Your gearing will be out, the diff (final drive) on a US model is different to account for the 185's verses the 165's fitted to European cars. Putting a 195/65 15 on is actually even slightly smaller diameter than a 165 15. You'll be revving higher to maintain the same speeds, although acceleration will be slightly quicker. 

Gareth

Gareth is correct. 

I purchased a TR6 with 165/65's and the car sat too low and the increase in engine revolutions on fast roads made it very annoying.

The car did accelerate like a rocket and handle much better.

Fall 2011(Tire Sizing TR6).pdf