Front brake caliper rebuild

Hi all

doing my front suspension area as the rubber boots etc were perished.'

When down there thought I would do the brakes as they were a bit soft, so when removing the caliper area, the brake pads looked okay but on closer inspection of the pistons, the rubbers were very perished and literally all fell away with a scrape of a scewdriver into bits.  I can now see the pistons look corroded plus they seem very stuck.  I ask for help on 2 areas:

1.  Piston removal, I read use an air compressor, is this the best way?

2.  I plan on doing a visual check for corrosion, and replace if needed, but the rubbers, looking at Moss, the rubbers for this car, the car is a CC from June 70, are the new rubbers from Moss below correct and is the number on the caliper so I can be sure?

image.thumb.png.5e1f6dff6218d4e9b4d95dd3bd147197.png

Thanks to all for helping me

Richard

Edited by AarhusTr6

Hi Richard , much easier to " blow out " the pistons with a compressor .

But in a pinch the bleed nipple can be replaced with a grease nipple ,

pumping grease in will also push the piston out.

Bit messy but does work.

Also if there is any corrosion on the chrome on the pistons they most be replaced

or they will tear up your new seals.

Mick.

To answer the ‘which kit’ question.

Look at the way the dust covers of the pistons fit to the caliper body.   Are there are metal rings holding the seal to the body?   If not then it is the early type known as 16P.   Uses the Girling SP2501 seal kit. Without the steel rings.

If there are steel rings then it is the later type caliper known as 16 PB.  Uses Grirling seal kit SP2589. This kit contains the steel rings.

The pistons change because the dust seal changes.  
The groove the dust seal locates in gets wider on the later type.   The piston diameter does not change.  

The fluid seal that goes in the caliper bore is the same for both types.  

Only the dust seal changes.

There is a Girling technical article on this but I cannot find it.

Girling SP 2501 seal kit for early 16P caliper

E442D7C3-BEDB-465D-925B-915578369062.jpeg

SP2589 seal kit for later Girling 16 PB caliper.

5D5B8C3A-7139-43FC-B209-FA1CBA5E1CB0.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

If you use compressed air to blow the pistons out make sure that you don’t have a finger between the pistons when you do it. The pistons can move with quite a speed and force. If it doesn’t cut one of your fingers off it will at best prove quite painful.

Put a piece of wood between the pistons and do it in stages, reducing the thickness of the wood each time, otherwise one piston might come out completely and then you will have difficulty removing the other one.

Charlie

As an alternative to blocks of wood you can employ an adjustable clamp or two to control piston exit

i extract the pistons using the master cylinder before i disconnect the hydraulics, but air would work too

attached should give the idea, its a motorbike but the principle is the same 

steve

511C23EF-7905-4237-9937-3513C6EA3F28.jpeg

Hi all

With all of your wonderful help I managed to use my compressor and blew out the the pistons.   One of them was a real b**** and with a lot of pressure boom out it came so see what you mean about the health and safety!

OOn closer inspection they seem to have a dust seal and a metal clip or ring so will check the previous advice on which version to get.

The pistons phone do look in ok condition just a bit rusty on the inside and on the very outer edges.

I had better look up about what type of brake oil I will or will not use

Last what an awesome forum!

Richard

While you are there you may consider putting stainless steel pistons, more money though, but should then outlast the rest of the car!

The type of calliper is marked by the mounting bolt you will see either 16P  or 16 PB  this should identify the model. 

John

7 hours ago, Chris Hubball said:

If you are using Silicon Brake Fluid make sure your new seal kit is compatible.

Cheers Chris

Both Moss and Past Parts confirmed to me that SBF (DOT 5.1 (error, SBF is DOT5) is ok for the seals they supply.

Cheers,

Waldi

Edited by Waldi
Error, SBF is DOT 5
5 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Here is a picture of the piston which I will clean up but is this for sure the later piston type??1645377900056752857025350148623.thumb.jpg.b2eb9861feb0b1dee388e15287656848.jpg

To my way of thinking that is scrap just bit the bulit and bus Stainless Steel ones and I have used Big Red a few times

Roger

7 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

To my way of thinking that is scrap just bit the bulit and bus Stainless Steel ones and I have used Big Red a few times

Roger

think I agree, just being over in Euroland shipping from UK is a pain in the B now with customs charges and delays and next UK visit is 3 weeks out, but to confirm, this is the later Girling 16 PB caliper right?

Rich

Edited by AarhusTr6
3 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Here is a picture of the piston which I will clean up but is this for sure the later piston type??1645377900056752857025350148623.thumb.jpg.b2eb9861feb0b1dee388e15287656848.jpg

Yes that is the later piston. Early one has a very narrow groove by comparison

From Moss this piston is cheaper in stainless than chromed.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/piston-brake-caliper-stainless-steel-157685ss.html?assoc=124430

17 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Yes, change them.

But don't throw the old ones away.

One day, you will find an alternative use for those big chunks of metal !

Charlie.

I suggested to Mrs Nichol that if polished, they could make nice table decorations, but she clearly does not have the same artistic insight us TR owners have....

Richard

3 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

I suggested to Mrs Nichol that if polished, they could make nice table decorations, but she clearly does not have the same artistic insight us TR owners have....

Richard

Ideas for the old bits of car in the ‘might come in handy’ box

BD539D72-F15C-4B38-9EC5-BE87D7D915E2.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
14 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Ideas for the old bits of car in the ‘might come in handy’ box

BD539D72-F15C-4B38-9EC5-BE87D7D915E2.jpeg

Clever!

Stuart.