Hazard flashers on TR3

I have fitted hazard flashers to the car using a ‘kit’ with its own relay.

The power supply is non ignition controlled and fused.

The two wires from the hazard switch (left and right) connect to the bullets near the horn where the l & r  control wires from the indicator switch connects to the main front loom.

The system works as expected with the ignition off (or on).

BUT

If I have the indicator sw selected l or r & the ignition is off the rest of the ignition controlled system flashes in time  notably the ignition warning light.

I guess I need a diode  
I know the name of this one way device but have no idea of the size shape colour I should fit.   

Guidance please.   Or one in the post for cash?

Installation.

I presume the diode should go on the circuit connection between the indicator switch and the standard flasher unit

two pics of my wiring layout diagram mods.

Thanks in advance.

1376E878-D3EC-426D-98D7-27345EBF3163.jpeg

5DE291A1-6AEA-42D6-B546-A3C312C54E84.jpeg

Yes it's feeding back via the lead you have arrowed. PM me your address and I will put a couple in the post Peter -  I've got loads of them and they are pennies so don't bother about it. 

I'm surprised you went to the trouble of fitting a dedicated hazard system Pete.

If you have LED indicators (& I think you have?) you only need a three way changeover switch to do the job.

1660987049_HazardWiring.jpg.70268840fccf4aa1eff26c88146bc191.jpg

Suitable switches on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264269001947?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131898614717?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Bob

Thank you Rob for your kind offer of help.  PM on its way.

Bob, I had the period push pull self illuminating switch so built the ‘kit’ around that.  

It fills a hole in the dash quite neatly.

Had I not already got the switch I would have followed your diagram and found the 3 way changeover switch.

My only hesitation would be that under MOT test conditions I think a separate warning light is required for hazards.  Hence the supply of ‘kits’ with built in warning lights for converting older cars.

Thanks

Peter W

Peter - if you had bought one of the Lucas (or look-alike) after-market Hazard Flasher kits, you could have followed the instructions given in my article in TR Action 132 (August 1996) or Section J9 of the Technicalities CD.

As noted, the kits have the required flashing light inside the pull-push knob.

Ian Cornish

On 2/19/2022 at 7:52 PM, RobH said:

Yes it's feeding back via the lead you have arrowed. PM me your address and I will put a couple in the post Peter -  I've got loads of them and they are pennies so don't bother about it. 

Thank Rob the diodes arrived by post today 

Your included instructions on use are very helpful too.   
Thanks again.

Peter W

The sketch shows the diode for positive earth Peter. I forgot to write that if you have negative earth, just turn it around. 

4 minutes ago, RobH said:

The sketch shows the diode for positive earth Peter. I forgot to write that if you have negative earth, just turn it around. 

You quoted + ve earth in your instruction thank you.

Now all I have to do is install the component neatly.

Will heat shrink cause any issues to the component when ‘heated to shrink’ ?

Cheers

Peter W

• 5 months later...
On 2/20/2022 at 9:42 AM, Ian Vincent said:

My hazard lights use a similar circuit to Bob's and flash the regular indicator light.  I've never had any problem with MOTs.

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian

do you have a copy of the wiring diagram for your set up? 
Cheers

Iain

12 hours ago, iain said:

Hi Ian

do you have a copy of the wiring diagram for your set up? 
Cheers

Iain

Hi Iain,

My loom is a very non standard Advance Auto wire item from the US but as I said the hazard bit is similar to Bob’s. Unfortunately I don’t have a wiring circuit to hand as I’m away for a few days, I’ll try and sort one next weekend. 

Rgds Ian

Hi Bob/Ian

i was going to run with Bobs layout, however I think I’ve misinterpreted a comment above. Reading again I assume the indicator warning light does show the system working, it’s just the switch that is hidden from view?

Iain

Edited by iain

Yes, the warning light is powered from the flasher unit directly, the flasher unit does not know whether you are flashing 2 lamps (indicating), or 4 lamps (hazards). So it will flash as normal when hazards are on.

See posts above for details of where to get the parts required.

Bob.

A few of us in the Devon Group are using this switch:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323653487188?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mLtSYuGbSIW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=GeP3KodIRnW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It has an internal flashing indicator and is sort of Triumph related as it’s a Ferguson tractor part :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Would be interested to know the internal switching details, it's possible it could be used with my circuit.

Well the underside view shows the connections are DIN numbered, so should be like this (though that doesn't tell us what is going on inside):

fsw.jpg.692a2c77fd147a40663142f9088c30ab.jpg

This is how it is wired on the tractor (second page item F).  I'm not sure that helps much either.  I think the switch may have a flasher mechanism inside it.

http://vintagetractorengineer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/500-series-wiring.pdf

(I obviously have too much time on my hands.....:unsure:)

Edited by RobH

Aah thanks Andrew. That is quite neat - does exactly the same as Bob's circuit but you get the illuminated switch with the right logo.