An Honest 4X4

Always had a soft spot for old Landy's.

As a stable hand in my teens, I learnt to drive in an ancient workhorse Series III. Used it for everything, towing horse boxes, hauling hay bails, taking friends to the beach and my girlfriend to the cinema. :) 

Probably one of my favourite vehicles I've ever owned.

Deggers

Edited by Deggers

My Dad had one of the very early ones as an Army test vehicle in Malaya in 1949. He`s in the middle with pipe.

Stuart.

Screenshot (5).png

Edited by stuart
On 2/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, stuart said:

My Dad had one of the very early ones as an Army test vehicle in Malaya in 1949. He`s in the middle with pipe.

Stuart.

Screenshot (5).png

Lovely photo Stuart.  I would have been one year old.

Rgds Ian

Truly iconic…. Deggers…This is 3/4 up a Brecon Beacons mountain with the only access to the house via a (sometimes) dry river bed…. Not a problem for the Landy..

Question for any of you who have driven one ‘properly’…… Have you ever genuinely needed low ratio?

…… Careful because next question will be ‘why’ and ‘where’?……….. I’ve found that they can tackle anything you throw at them?!
606D9522-F11A-4ABA-8868-2C0EF1B03EAE.thumb.jpeg.d6c5b8fc234c3a5ada284dd84e028c6d.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Question for any of you who have driven one ‘properly’…… Have you ever genuinely needed low ratio?

…… Careful because next question will be ‘why’ and ‘where’?……….. I’ve found that they can tackle anything you throw at them?!

Yes, company I worked for in the early 70`s had a crop sprayer tank fitted to one and low ratio was often used on that. We`re not talking Chelsea tractor use you know. ;):lol:

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
46 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Why’d you actually need low ratio to spray crops Stuart?……. What type of crops need spraying on a 1:2 incline? :rolleyes:

3rd gear low for precise control plus RPM for PTO driven pump. Youd be surprised what sort of ground that they used to work on, not much flat down here.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, Tony_C said:

I’m not a Land Rover fan but I’ve found low ratio useful in Land Cruisers not for the “lower than 1st gear” ratio but because it makes all the gears closer together allowing the engine revs to remain in the sweet spot while maintaining progress at the desired rate. 

I have used low ratio in my Jeep Cherokee on many occasions, eg:

When moving a "mobile" field shelter to a different spot in a field-  need all the "pull" you can get without much slipping of clutch

When pulling a boat on a trailer up a steep slipway, again no need for speed, but just need plenty of pulling power.

Bob

Edited by Lebro
6 hours ago, Tony_C said:

Yes many many times when working on sites from the mid 1970's pulling trailers off muddy sites. The Series111 my work used were petrol engined and were low in torque, hence the need for the low ratios.

Dave

No doubt there are many different flavours of these things but the ex-army lightweight series 3 I had in the field was rubbish. Very easy to get stuck when you lost traction on diagonally opposite wheels. A feature I believe is called 'cross-axled'. Maybe I just lacked the required skill. On the plus side it did start every time despite being left for months.

Jerry

My Dad had one of the very early ones as an Army test vehicle in Malaya in 1949.

Fantastic photo Stuart. 

On 2/26/2022 at 11:53 AM, Tony_C said:

Have you ever genuinely needed low ratio?

We relocated a six foot solid concrete cattle trough on the farm one afternoon.

Mud up to the axles, low ratio four wheel drive, and the champ dragged the thing across three acres without breaking stride. Great stuff.

I'd often race mine against my mate's Series II :D

Hadn't realised (until just now) it was once a national pastime!

Deggers

Edited by Deggers

My Dad had one of the very early ones as an Army test vehicle in Malaya in 1949. 

Screenshot (5).png

Do you know what became of it Stuart? Whether or not it remained in Malaya?

I've always been impressed just how many ancient Landys I've spotted abroad, being driven just as hard today as they were when new: and in some of the most incredible places.

Deggers

Edited by Deggers
49 minutes ago, Deggers said:

Do you know what became of it Stuart? Whether or not it remained in Malaya?

I've always been impressed just how many ancient Landys I've spotted abroad, being driven just as hard today as they were when new: and in some of the most incredible places.

Deggers

No idea and theres no one left to ask Im afraid.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the pleasures of working for BMH was the access to Rover Group management vehicle ownership scheme.   
My vehicle choice was Defenders of course, when available.  We were supposed to return them before 7500 miles so that meant 3-4 cars a year for some of us.   Did a few factory sponsored off road courses and experiences which the main dealers often ran.