I have just finished an overhaul of the TR3A front suspension.

I imagine most parts come from the same place although they are sold by  different companies.

The  top ball joints would not bolt into the upper wishbones, sufficiently to get the split pin in.

On checking, the threaded part is shorter and the hole further away from the top.

The only way was to use a thinner washer and the old castellated nuts which I discovered had the castellations more profond than the new ones.

And as if that wasn't enough, I took out the new grease nipple to replace it with the right angled ones from the old parts. They are not the same size. New is smaller and would not screw up when I tried to return it. The top of the body is made of very cheap metal and very thin. I had to deform the thread a little and add loctite red to get it to stay.

Why are we surrounded by so much shite.? Profit no doubt.

6 hours ago, TwinCamJohn said:

I imagine most parts come from the same place although they are sold by  different companies.

The  top ball joints would not bolt into the upper wishbones, sufficiently to get the split pin in.

On checking, the threaded part is shorter and the hole further away from the top.

The only way was to use a thinner washer and the old castellated nuts which I discovered had the castellations more profond than the new ones.

And as if that wasn't enough, I took out the new grease nipple to replace it with the right angled ones from the old parts. They are not the same size. New is smaller and would not screw up when I tried to return it. The top of the body is made of very cheap metal and very thin. I had to deform the thread a little and add loctite red to get it to stay.

I often have similar issues. It isn't profitable to make quality as most purchases are driven by price.

14 hours ago, TwinCamJohn said:

Hi John,

are we talking about item # 13 here -  Ball Joint

If you are really not happy about this product then you could forward me a PQI form. But have you reported your issues back to the vendor?.

The Moss WebCat drawing shows it with a nylok nut - would that help installation

The grease nipple is a minor issue but selling it with a straight nipple just shows a lax operation - not good but easily sorted. 

Roger

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi John,

are we talking about item # 13 here -  Ball Joint

If you are really not happy about this product then you could forward me a PQI form. But have you reported your issues back to the vendor?.

The Moss WebCat drawing shows it with a nylok nut - would that help installation

The grease nipple is a minor issue but selling it with a straight nipple just shows a lax operation - not good but easily sorted. 

Roger

Yes, it is #13.  It is mounted OK , but the fact is with the nut and washer provided , it couldn't have been done. I appreciate a nyloc nut would sort it but it wasn't supplied with one. Regarding the  grease nipple, I agree that to swap would be easy if you had a smaller threaded nipple. But the thread was useless when trying to put the original back in.

I bought these in France from a french outlet rather than my usual orders in Germany from SC Parts.

I do not know the suppliers in France so have no recommendations. 

Here in the UK my go to suppliers are Moss and TRShop.   TRshop tend to inspect many of their parts as they handle small volumes.

Moss do have their share of disasters but do listen when the sh*t hits the fan.

Roger

Sounds slightly more complicated than my ball joint.

I have used Moss for years and now you can order and have it shipped from France. SC parts also except that's from Germany. They did a good price on all the bits for the suspension.

For speed I used Betaset, who seem to be well regarded here.

The register has a dedicated "Our Trusted Suppliers" web page, but it might be useful if there were a dedicated page for actual manufacturers -- ie., not links to retailers, but rather, to manufacturers ONLY. That way, you know the name of the maker, which has to be the surest basis for trust.