GETTING OUT DOWN UNDER

An excellent run this morning to our monthly coffee get together south of Sydney. Once out of the city it is a run down the freeway then a climb over what we call Razorback. It gives the cars a great run. A bit warm here in the high 20s C but quite pleasant. 

I took the long door TR2, there was a gaggle of 3As (another BRG one left before I got the photos) and a couple of our members more modern cars.image0.thumb.jpeg.e9b5052d27f518979037376f3a98688c.jpegimage1.thumb.jpeg.1236a1cd5ee5de80a23cdc50fcc4b752.jpegimage3.thumb.jpeg.7446e7ba7a7a9f013edb9e3e8412a0fe.jpeg

8 hours ago, oxf2 said:

Has the red 3a got a bit of a white border around the edge of the black painted area on the apron? Looks like it to me, and looks good.

Yes it does. It is an ex race car and is quite rough around the edges but in excellent mechanical nick.

7 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Yes it does. It is an ex race car and is quite rough around the edges but in excellent mechanical nick.

The best way to have them in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Hamish said:

The best way to have them in my opinion.

I agree, to a degree.

My daily driver is quite rough around the edges, it has lots of patina. It gets used to do errands, the shopping, take rubbish to the tip and on long interstate drives. I could drive it to Perth with confidence.

My long door TR2 is quite immaculate and only goes out on nice days, which happens pretty often here. But I could also drive it to Perth with confidence.

My TR6 is somewhere in between, pretty nice but with patina and it gets used just for fun.

There is a place for both in my view.

i know what you mean John. but with my car i wouldn't be devastated if i found a chip or scratch after a day out adjust touch it up.

12 hours ago, Hamish said:

i know what you mean John. but with my car i wouldn't be devastated if i found a chip or scratch after a day out adjust touch it up.

The long door car gets the occasional chip and sometimes biggish ones, unavoidable on freeways at 110-120km/h with trucks all around and on back roads with gravel edges. That doesn't concern me as the car, while immaculate, gets used and often with vigour.

The everyday TR2 has lots of chips, scrapes and the upholstery is often mistaken for the 1954 original, it isn't but was done in 1982 so is now 40 years and 200,000 miles old. I've had this car since February 1976, 46 years this month and, apart from 3 years 1980-83 when I pulled the body off and restored it, it has been my everyday car.

I've just bought new seats, the originals are cracked around the base, and might get a Skinners kit for it. The driver's seat was repaired about 15 years ago, you can see the newer centre in the squab, but it is now beyond its useful life. As much as I like the patina, it isn't very comfortable with torn leather and compressed padding.

And if I redo the upholstery the tatty exterior will look even more tatty so do I undertake a body restoration as well? 

I go through this process regularly and every time decide to just keep driving it.

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

8 hours ago, John McCormack said:

The long door car gets the occasional chip and sometimes biggish ones, unavoidable on freeways at 110-120km/h with trucks all around and on back roads with gravel edges. That doesn't concern me as the car, while immaculate, gets used and often with vigour.

The everyday TR2 has lots of chips, scrapes and the upholstery is often mistaken for the 1954 original, it isn't but was done in 1982 so is now 40 years and 200,000 miles old. I've had this car since February 1976, 46 years this month and, apart from 3 years 1980-83 when I pulled the body off and restored it, it has been my everyday car.

I've just bought new seats, the originals are cracked around the base, and might get a Skinners kit for it. The driver's seat was repaired about 15 years ago, you can see the newer centre in the squab, but it is now beyond its useful life. As much as I like the patina, it isn't very comfortable with torn leather and compressed padding.

And if I redo the upholstery the tatty exterior will look even more tatty so do I undertake a body restoration as well? 

I go through this process regularly and every time decide to just keep driving it.

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

Thats just fantastic John. A credit to you. 
I’d leave it alone it looks great.

21 hours ago, Hamish said:

Thats just fantastic John. A credit to you. 
I’d leave it alone it looks great.

The Skinner kit isn't perfect, but gee it is damn good. The pre and post sales service by John was exceptional, which would see me use Skinners for any upholstery upgrades.

I totally agree with you John and Hamish. It is nice to see your everyday TR2. It's how I use my 3, whenever I get a chance.