TR2 boot escutcheons

I’ve just fitted a pair of the teardrop escutcheons and found that the springs hold them loosely open, such that they will knock against the paintwork when driving. Has anyone else come across this issue? They were bought from Moss but have sat on a shelf for about three and a half years and so unlikely to be under any kind of guarantee (but I have contacted them).

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Ian

69BF9B54-72C9-488D-8F1E-27EE78001321.jpeg

11 hours ago, Lebro said:

One of mine has a very weak spring, I have to push it back down after every use. It has not harmed (or even touched) the paintwork though.

Bob

The teardrop should rest on its base keeping it clear of the paint work. This sometimes doesn't happen, but it has on mine.

The reason the tear drop flap touches the body is because they were once remade poorly.  

Just the flap was cast and then fitted to the original manufacturer’s round escutcheon base, spring and pin.  Joseph Fray I think were the one makers.

These incorrectly shaped flaps that touched the body were produced I think for the Jagwarrr E type bonnet side locks, where show is more important than practically (Discuss) 

21 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

These incorrectly shaped flaps that touched the body were produced I think for the Jagwarrr E type bonnet side locks, where show is more important than practically (Discuss) 

Considering they only made 500 side lockers its not surprising that more were flogged off for TR consumption.

Stuart.

14 minutes ago, stuart said:

Considering they only made 500 side lockers its not surprising that more were flogged off for TR consumption.

Stuart.

You have to take into account that of those 500, more than 1500 still survive.....  My friend looked at one once for re-import to UK.  A genuine flat floor 4.2.....,

1 minute ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

You have to take into account that of those 500, more than 1500 still survive.....  My friend looked at one once for re-import to UK.  A genuine flat floor 4.2.....,

:lol::lol::lol: bit like TR5s then ;)

FWIW I restored chassis No 85075 back in 78 so I do know early cars well. I cant drive them though due to the flat floor.

Stuart.

3 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

They made 7500 Morris Cooper S in Australia. At last count 10,000 are still on the road.

Just now, John McCormack said:

They made 7500 Morris Cooper S in Australia. At last count 10,000 are still on the road.

Always the way like original D types ;)

Stuart.