Kevlar Vs silicon hoses

I have used them on very high boost turbo hoses but they seem like an expensive overkill for a TR cooling system. As Roger says, rubber last decades, silicone lasts indefinitely, so unless you have an unusual application in terms of pressure or physical punishment (rallying, being hit by rocks and gravel for example) I see little to recommend Kevlar.

Kevlar are also rather stiff and it makes them a bit hard to fit. Because they are stiffer they also put more load on the radiator when the engine moves and the chassis flexes so they may actually be counterproductive in this case.

Well its not quite like that. A lot of the rubber hoses around being sold cheaply by some of the suppliers has no re-enforcing inside which means they dont last very long, theyre also made of a similar type of rubber as the ball joint boots that we all know dont last five minutes. The more expensive rubber hoses are fine and will last a fair length of time, The Silicon ones are good though they seem to be mostly in metric sizes which means theyre either a very tight fit or too loose, they also tend to be mostly available in very garish colours. Lastly coming to the Kevlar ones, when they first came out they were very good and were considered to be the best option as most of the rubber ones available at the time were of the unreinforced variety, move on a few years and all of a sudden the Kevlar ones then being sold were starting to fall to bits very rapidly for some unknown reason (probably cheapened the mix to be more profitable) so most of the good suppliers stopped selling them (I believe the situation for them has now been resolved)

In short rubber is fine as long as its the re-enforced variety which you should be able to tell by looking at the end of the hose where the re-enforcing layer should be visible.

Stuart.

Personally would go for the silicon ones due to its longevity. (but not as fuel pipe)

Regular reinforcement is fine, kevlar is overkill for the loadings in the TR coolant application and again subject to the rubber it is embedded in degenerating.

Hi Jochem,

I bought the standard rubber hoses from Bastuck when I got my TR 13 years ago, they are still like new.

Why not safe the money for another project?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
8 minutes ago, stillp said:

Don't silicone hoses tend to slip off?

Pete

They can be problematical on stainless pipes with no swaged end.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

They can be problematical on stainless pipes with no swaged end.

Stuart.

Agreed. I had to use Wellseal and double jubilee clips to cure slight leaks at each end of the stainless down pipe. 

Rgds Ian

Stuart is absolutely correct (as usual).  This has happened to me twice - on the same connection:  Top of the metal pipe between the bottom of the radiator and the water pump - on a TR6.  This is a quick but messy way of emptying the cooling system.

14 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

just curious.....where to buy good quality hoses?

I looked at Roose, but the Triumph set he offers, come in 31mm wide hoses. The actual dimension is 28mm. Moss' reinforced silicon hoses are on backorder already for a long time.

Revington’s…..made in Australia by Mackay. They fit very well and have a 3 year warranty. (Not often you see that…I hadn’t realised.)

https://www.revingtontr.com/search.asp?for=rtr1474-2k&cartype=tr3

Iain

25 minutes ago, iain said:

Revington’s…..made in Australia by Mackay. They fit very well and have a 3 year warranty. (Not often you see that…I hadn’t realised.)

https://www.revingtontr.com/search.asp?for=rtr1474-2k&cartype=tr3

Iain

Thanks Iain!

Very helpful to know.

Ciao

David