Hinge lever in SU carb bowl bent to accomodate short jet.

I was going through a carb issue when I decided to go back to basics as many of you recommend on all issues.

My TR3 owner's manual shows a needle and seat assembly that is taller than the one I bought 15 years ago from Moss.

I am ordering new ones today.  This post is just to state that the vertical dimension of the seat assembly may have different sizes that cause the owner to bend the fork too much.

float lever.jpeg

There are actually different types of fork - perhaps you have the wrong ones?  It doesn't look right in the photo, the arm should be horizontal as per the drawing. Note the different dimensions of pivot height for early and late forks here:

http://sucarb.co.uk/float-chambers-spares/float-forks.html

Edited by RobH

Thanks Rob,

I measured my lid and pin and know what I have now.  My pic does not show it maybe, but I have been using Gross Jets instead of a needle.  I researched tonight and found my problem.  I must have thrown away the washers that GrossJet sends along with the Jet.  The washers are to be used to raise the jet upwards to match your carb.  Huh!  I didn't do that and that is why I had to bend the dickens out of the fork.  

what I found --- """"3. To compensate for the short valve, the mfg includes 4 fibre washers in each valve envelope. For the long ear float lid, use all 4 washers. It is recommended that after you carefully and gently tighten the valve, you dribble a drop of Loctite green (290?) down the valve body so it runs into the washers. Allow about 10 minutes for the loctite to kick, then blow through the inlet pipe hard and clean out any loctite that may have worked its way past the washers. Roll the ball around with your fingertip. Suck on the inlet, and verify that is it vacuum-tight."""

LINK HERE

TBH I would go back to standard needle valves as the Grose ones have had a very bad reputation over here for many years.

Stuart.