Hello everyone, my tr3a 1959 starts well, but then starts to crackle and if I try to give gas tends to turn off. my mechanic replaced spark plugs, pins, capacitor, coil, but the problem remains.could it be the distributor ? has anyone had the same problems? how did you solve them?   any kind of advice is welcome.  

Quite possibly the fuel tank is shedding particles of rust into the fuel.

This dirt, carried there from the tank to the filter bowl, can rise up as the flow increases and block the gauze filter.

When the engine stops, the dirt falls to the bottom of the bowl, ready for this to be repeated.  Have a look at the bowl.

Fot the cure, see my article on Slosh Tank Sealant in TR Action 144, or Technicalities CD Section K3.

TR Action is available on line to members in the club's website - one just has to log-in, then search for "slosh".

Ian Cornish

Your mechanic may have already checked, but make sure the thin flexible earth wire connecting the movable base plate in the distributor to the distributor body has not broken. Also check the Rotor Arm, sometimes hairline cracks can develop which allows the spark to earth out to the distributor post.

Ralph

3 hours ago, ianc said:

Quite possibly the fuel tank is shedding particles of rust into the fuel.

This dirt, carried there from the tank to the filter bowl, can rise up as the flow increases and block the gauze filter.

When the engine stops, the dirt falls to the bottom of the bowl, ready for this to be repeated.  Have a look at the bowl.

Fot the cure, see my article on Slosh Tank Sealant in TR Action 144, or Technicalities CD Section K3.

TR Action is available on line to members in the club's website - one just has to log-in, then search for "slosh".

Ian Cornish

Thank Ian, on monday i'll speak with mechanic...

Marco, Bologna, Italy

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Your mechanic may have already checked, but make sure the thin flexible earth wire connecting the movable base plate in the distributor to the distributor body has not broken. Also check the Rotor Arm, sometimes hairline cracks can develop which allows the spark to earth out to the distributor post.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

The mechanic tells me that he found the thin flexible earth wire connecting the movable plate base in the distributor broken. He processed to replace it and Monday we try and hope this the problem ...

Thanks, Marco, Bologna, Italy

Marco - I hope that it is a simple electrical problem, but if the problem should be dirt in the fuel and you do not have access to my article, then send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy of my article.

Best wishes, Ian Cornish

10 hours ago, Roadster64basket said:

Hi Ralph,

The mechanic tells me that he found the thin flexible earth wire connecting the movable plate base in the distributor broken. He processed to replace it and Monday we try and hope this the problem ...

Thanks, Marco, Bologna, Italy

Beato te che il meccanico ce l'hai! Qui in Irlanda sono rari. Ho una TR3 coi Weber e nessuno li sa mettere a punto. Finalmente mi trovo un'officina specializzata in auto d'epoca, ma si immaginano che uno con una macchina del genere deve essere per forza un miliardario! M'hanno spennato!

Ciao, David

21 hours ago, ianc said:

Marco - I hope that it is a simple electrical problem, but if the problem should be dirt in the fuel and you do not have access to my article, then send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy of my article.

Best wishes, Ian Cornish

ok Ian, i hoe but i have a pleasure to read your article : marcodovesi@gmail.com

thank you, Marco 

15 hours ago, DavidBee said:

Beato te che il meccanico ce l'hai! Qui in Irlanda sono rari. Ho una TR3 coi Weber e nessuno li sa mettere a punto. Finalmente mi trovo un'officina specializzata in auto d'epoca, ma si immaginano che uno con una macchina del genere deve essere per forza un miliardario! M'hanno spennato!

Ciao, David

hi Davi, even here in Italy to fix the carburetors are very expensive ... we call them jewelers,

Marco

Marco - article sent to your email address.

As soon as you receive the email and its attachments, please edit your posting above and remove your email address - it's not a good idea to make one's email public!

Best wishes, Ian Cornish

11 minutes ago, Roadster64basket said:

hi Davi, even here in Italy to fix the carburetors are very expensive ... we call them jewelers,

Marco

Dite bene! E certo! Nessuno li sa mettere a punto. Io sì, ma solo in teoria. E non ho la come dire? Spavaderia. Meglio i Dell'Orto o Mikuni, detto fra noi, entrambi versioni migliorate rispetto ai carburatori di Edoardo Weber, reggiano, lo sapevi? 

Ciao,

David

Hello everyone, today I went to pick up the TR3 from the mechanic, the main problem was dirty gasoline. Most likely the last time I refueled I loaded the bottom of the container. In any case we proceeded to do a general check of the electrical parts and on Sunday, weather permitting, I will do a nice test drive.

On 2/18/2022 at 6:47 PM, Roadster64basket said:

Hello everyone, today I went to pick up the TR3 from the mechanic, the main problem was dirty gasoline. Most likely the last time I refueled I loaded the bottom of the container. In any case we proceeded to do a general check of the electrical parts and on Sunday, weather permitting, I will do a nice test drive.

Marco, potrebbe essere un'idea istallare un filtro, che ne dici? Se scegli uno buono, ma trasparente, e lo metti nel vano motore, ma non accanto al blocco, se si intasa, te ne accorgerai subito, ed è facile svuotarlo o sostituirlo.

Ciao,

David

Today sunny day here in Bologna, I did a nice test ride with the car and finally the engine runs as it should.

the only problem is the Overdrive that does not always enter or comes into operation after a few moments. If anyone has any advice, however, I try to open another topic.

3 minutes ago, Roadster64basket said:

the Overdrive that does not always enter or comes into operation after a few moments.

That could just be a dirty filter so it takes time to raise oil pressure.