TR3A fuel supply and tank fitting

Years ago I fitted a new tank to my 3A. It was also a chance to replace the fuel line to the H6 carbs. I remember fitting the olive on the supply pipe and pushing it into the tank. It has all worked very well since then,  except I fitted the olive too far from the end of the pipe. There is no signs of any leak so it all worked well, but the dipstick shows one gallon in the tank. The pipe is too long inside the tank above the olive and all debris etc. is at the base of the tank. However it stops pushing petrol after about 10 miles. My answer to date is to always have a can of fresh fuel in the boot. The plan for this week end is to drain the tank, take out the pipe and reduce the length until it is very close to the olive.

My question is how close should the olive be to the end of the line, to get a leak free joint.  I also want to be safe from any rubbish at the base of the tank. I would like  most of the last one gallon to be allowed to go to work with the engine and his friends (H6) in the front. 

I am hoping for no rain ??

Richard & B

It’s not a bad idea to have a good length of pipe protruding into the tank so that any sediment or water doesn’t get through to the carbs. There is a drain plug on the opposite end of the tank so probably a good idea to flush the tank through that every now and again. 
A nice feature may be to fit another valve to the drain and tee the outlet in to the main feed with a hose. That way you could flush by removing the hose and create a fuel reserve for emergencies by opening the second valve. 
In answer to your original question there needs to be very little pipe protruding through the olive; just enough for the olive to get a bite on the pipe. 

Edited by Drewmotty