Windscreen Install Help

Hi all

Fitting a new windscreen today and couple of questions?

I’m using a Moss rubber which I think is quite a bit thicker overall than the one I removed. The old one is POSSIBLY OEM as the last screen is dated 1995 and made by Arva in Finland. I remember fitting those quite easily on my own. I’ve had my son pushing down on it, and even the wife! If it doesn’t go in when she tells it to I fear it never will! :lol:

I’m using a Pilkington laminated glass. It is slightly deeper than the old one by about 1/8 maybe but is under 15 1/2”. 

It doesn’t want to go in like they normally do, and the capping seems to be in the way. Is it best to install these without the capping ( Surrey type)? Should the Moss rubber work? I think it’s Moss but this is the label.

Rain has stopped play.

Thanks

Kevin

41F1BA2B-E8A5-497F-AAAF-54C339674B82.jpeg

F72E01F4-8F9C-4E0B-8C48-FFDB10486446.jpeg

07D9B5F3-AE90-4428-89E2-DA2761B1D049.jpeg

Hi Kevin

I've just fitted my windscreen with the Moss rubber seal, it had the same green tag, It went in relatively easily but I reused the glass, so I knew it fitted into the frame.

It was tight at the top corners, but it went in when the bottom edge (and corners) were correctly in.

From you second picture  it looks like the seal can come down a bit more, as I have only about 5mm gap between the screen seal and the frame seal.

I'd also recommend fitting the chrome trim first, as it is very difficult to fit it once the screen is in.

Thanks

Paul

image.thumb.png.fe0bda5e719564bbeaf8dd0ed12e28a5.png

Need more lube, the new rubbers are a slightly harder shore than original but they do fit well and the thing about the finisher is definitely true, just leave a bit of overlap on it at the centre middle of the bottom of the screen to allow for shrinkage.

Stuart.

Thanks Paul and Stuart. Sounds like the rubber is the Moss one.

I’ll fit the finisher first, use some soapy water and try again tomorrow . The rain and wind causing frequent interruptions all weekend has not helped, allowing the seal dry out.  I snapped a credit card to ease the seal in which was a result.

Regards

Kevin

15 hours ago, boxofbits said:

Thanks Paul and Stuart. Sounds like the rubber is the Moss one.

I’ll fit the finisher first, use some soapy water and try again tomorrow . The rain and wind causing frequent interruptions all weekend has not helped, allowing the seal dry out.  I snapped a credit card to ease the seal in which was a result.

Regards

Kevin

Better lube for screen fitting is Durex play as its water based and washes off better, one of these tools helps a lot too as it doesnt damage paintwork https://www.gpat.co.uk/vehicle-glass-replacement/glass-fitting-tools/plastic-spatula-round-endchisel-end

Stuart.

10 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

Hi Kevin

Just an idea but the weather is cold at the moment and rubber is harder when cold. Try putting the rubber in a bucket of hot water first and then it should be a bit more flexible.

Keith

Trouble is by the time you get it round the screen and in position with the finisher in it will have gone cold again.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stillp said:

I used Swarfega when I fitted mine.

Pete

Not sure how that would react with the rubber over time.

Stuart.

6 hours ago, stuart said:

Not sure how that would react with the rubber over time.

Stuart.

I haven't noticed any ill effects. It washes off quite well. I don't know about your Durex lube, although I expect it's compatible with rubber!

Pete