not constant idle - revs drop and engine dies

Hi there,

for a long time I had the problem of not constant idle - often the revs dropped and the engine died.

And the engine started badly after some time no used (yes, I have and used the primer lever).

Hopefully I now sorted it out.

I've been always told the reason are worn carbs (better ones fitted now), and perhaps this was a small part of the problem - but not the main problem.

What I realised is: all problems are less with more ignition advance - but with pinking under load and higher revs.

So I had to reduced the ignition advance again for no pinking - with all the problems again.

Cleaning my workshop this DIY degree scale from my "his new gearbox" - project was already in the waste.

BkG3bnZCb1qxsFUF2H1yofRp9ETYcy3U-BL5TitW

I took it out again to check the distributor with its 10° stamped "anchor / hammer" (?), in my opinion it is the correct one.

Wx4GDnztmvm9ul-VXgkF1WT-tb0CSGke_Mmzz6Nb

4° static + 2 x 10° advance = max. 24° (+ vacuum box), that's OK for the 4 cylinders

g6B2o9_zPRGO7pqVPfoUiBRrVL7qrLJwP5ZphLgl

To my surpise - or not - I found out the 10° "anchor" allows about 12.5° - 13.0°!

F15l1s94Xc0HttF8EJ5hnb9CxDwoY4jKhEzGQfKz

Result is:

- 4° static + 2 x 12.5 (13°) = 29....31° advance = good start and idle but pinking on the 4 cylinders

- 24° dynamic - 2 x 12.5° (13°) = neg. 1...-2° advance = no pinking but revs drop and engine dies

The 10° "anchor" and the stop bolt are not worn, the gap (checked with a 5 mm drill) is about 5 mm.

BjEthZkzISjL1AnUZ_m1eITCopnKVhorZRTW8Xj4

My idea: I have to reduce the gap down to 5 mm / 13° x 10° = 3.9 mm.  This bush glued over the stop pin will do the job.

o-wcnwDI9vzlv5hPmvb6F6SgeDKhBTJmg7oBVxMY

Two of them, to keep the distributor balanced, gap (right on the photo) indeed is about 3.9 mm now, checked with a 3.8, 3.9 and 4.0 mm drill

JYMLIcdwUDATk4TA18Ed2TdKRUkWa-aPrx14umGL

Advance is some less than 10° now, that's lovely!

MM8VSE1Y5d1HzAEgdmaJM87vfmnq57dNqJ9_HEHg

With the result by a 1st test drive about 4 weeks ago and a 2nd test drive yesterday I'm VERY pleased!

Perhaps this helps sombody to solve his problems (who wants to keep the mechanic distributor and not wants to send it th the distrubutor doctor).

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
  • Z320 changed the title to not constant idle - revs drop and engine dies

Well done Marco, this just illustrates why I always have all my distributors reconditioned properly by Martin (Distributor Doctor)

Stuart.

Yes indeed,

but for me living at Europe :ph34r: 2 x shipping + tax + declaration service shure doubles the price.

I know, I had this not long time ago. So sadly I can't give this job to Martin...

Ciao, Marco