1950’s Period Correct Number Plates?

Hi all,

What would be period correct number plates for a 1955 TR2 (i.e. what would have been fitted when new)?

I have looked on Tippers UK site and found the picture attached below.

The plates on my car are looking tired so I intend to replace them following a restoration.

Does anyone still have original plates they could share a pic of please?

Regards

Ade

35C378FA-91EC-4253-B9B9-6A970FE393F0.jpeg

F8148A44-C8AF-41F7-AF68-A19F27D26D4A.jpeg

405C63AA-9110-4558-941F-B056A7CDA77C.jpeg

Edited by AJ2014
Pics added
1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

My 58 3A has the seperate digits as per the above, cream (Maybe once White) on a black painted background.

photo tonight.

John.

Thank you John, much appreciated.

On closer inspection of my front number plate, it has a small Bluemels silver sticker adhered to the top edge which makes me think it’s older than the rear I pictured earlier.

6C572544-6995-4B35-AAB3-C4DDCA2548AB.jpeg

Hi Ade,

I've been looking into this myself and by co-incidence have a '55 TR2.

I'm fairly certain the dealer supplying the vehicle new would often use a local number plate company nearest to him - no online sales back then!

So unless you are very lucky and have something in the cars original history, the plate manufacturer chosen by the dealer could be one of a number and may well vary from region to region.

For the '55 vehicle it was 3.5 inch height digit I believe and silver or white are available nowdays.

Bob

Edited by OldBob
2 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

As far as I’m aware 3D and 4D raised number plate digits are to be banned in the UK.

I’m not sure if that applies to existing plates. That unfortunately means all Bluemels and Hills antique numbers and letters.

Kevin 

Wont be applied retrospectively, same as all other legislation regarding stuff like that, there will be a cut off date.

Stuart.

Thanks to all for your replies, very much appreciated.

I’ve taken a picture of both number plates together for comparison and now noted that there is a distinct difference in the Font on the front plate (bottom in the picture). I believe the front to be more original with its Bluemels label and pressed border around the aluminium plate.

Regards

Ade

9F7E6336-912C-4F57-81D5-07422C8D0C71.jpeg

Ade,

Tippers plates are beautiful, but I had to wait about six months after first putting in an order to get mine a couple of years ago. I hear the letters and numbers rattling on the mounting plate at idle, but they haven't dropped out of the plate yet, and indeed, they all look to be solidly mounted in the same manner shown above in your photograph of the back of your own reg plate.

Your Bluemels plate would look *really* nice reconditioned, as those Bluemels letters and numbers are of an elegant design. Tippers will recondition old plates, even non-Tippers plates as you can see from the photos here.

I’m pretty sure nearly all cars prepared by sales/marketing and the  competitions dept had “ACE Cornercroft”letters and plates in that period. 
https://classiccarwebsite.com/item/ace-vintage-plates-ltd/

Not sure if the above is still true, as in manufacturing……

Iain.

Time to refurbish those lovely originals Rod……Framptons no longer do ACE letters, it’s a case of auto jumble until you get a set:-)…and part with increasing amounts of cash.

Cheers

Iain