1 hour ago, Ian Vincent said:

Hi John,

Not a boot rack, but I have a boot bag that I strap to the back of my TR3a when I need extra storage.  Its very effective.

Rgds Ian

IMG_2166.jpg

Same, I have used both, the boot bag is by far the better option, unless you want/need to carry your sidescreens on the rack.Then it’s an original style rack.

Iain

Another vote for a boot bag, but just be disciplined by removing it before you open the boot (and empty a rack I guess) as the boot lid hinges are not strong.

493730056_Stoplampsfinal.thumb.jpg.17bef0ea539d077975d6d16a72e14b6a.jpg

I have this sort, uses the hinges to support the front, two rubber pads & two hooks over the rear of the boot lid so no holes to drill.

From TR shop they do chrome or stainless, I went for stainless. very pleased with it.

Bob

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

493730056_Stoplampsfinal.thumb.jpg.17bef0ea539d077975d6d16a72e14b6a.jpg

I have this sort, uses the hinges to support the front, two rubber pads & two hooks over the rear of the boot lid so no holes to drill.

From TR shop they do chrome or stainless, I went for stainless. very pleased with it.

Bob

Mine is a genuine ASM rack from the 1960’s.  Chromed.   I have modified the rear attachment away from the hook and claw system to a stainless bracket that is retained on the rack with a stainless ‘P’ clip and is bolted under the boot handle.   The front is pinned through the hinge pins same as Bob’s

492FA79D-4A52-4D43-8876-22EFED7B2DEE.jpeg

8 hours ago, John Reilly said:

Thank you one and all,

I think I will go for the versatility of the rack as per Bob even though I understand the merits of the bag.

I do like the clean lines of the centre clip fixed under the boot release handle on Peter's 5EKT, I will see if I can make one of those.

Regards

John

Some better views John

0CD1086A-5E49-4AFA-ACB4-8E347D9E876E.jpeg

3206E43F-21BF-4D11-B11B-9CD1C4BF16CF.jpeg

12E425B1-57D4-4115-A6E2-6835CC2B92E8.jpeg

B5D353F7-EC3F-4EC3-9CC3-02CBD4AB83E0.jpeg

Hello John,

(I'm always tempted to say "Got a new mota", after those words..., but I won't)

I have a rack that I have not used in anger yet, but I tested it with a bag attached and found the normal internal rear view mirror was useless.

You either need to mount an internal mirror higher up, or fit wing mirrors, if you don't have them.

Charlie.

Hi John, another take on the boot handle fixing.

Guy used to do these years ago, and I can't for the life of me who or where, pput simply it was a flat SS plate

formed to match the handle fixings, then bent at an appropriate angle, and wrapped around the bottom bar of teh rack, easily acheived

with a set of Mole grips, cushioned against marking the metal. Know of two in use for well over a decade with no issues, and

so simple.

John.

forum size 3 a boot handle bracket 2.jpg

forum size 3a boot handle bracket 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...