Door Card Trouble

Hello Everybody,

I have just had a lovely new interior put in my TR6. Trouble is, try as we might, we cannot get the door card clips to hold in the holes. Brand new ones or original ones, nothing works. What are we doing wrong? I have a beautiful new interior without door cards. Help me please.

Ken

Ken,

Maybe your cardboard is a bit thicker than original?

I first put the clips on the card, then aligned the cards and clips with the door and holes for the clip, then it was easy to push the doorcards on the door. Do not forget the plastic to avoid rainwater wetting the boards.

Waldi

Hi Ken,

they are truly evil things.

The door card clip hole is offset from the hole in the door. The clips also are offset.

So you need to position the clip so that it has maximum overlap onto the card whilst still aligning with the door hole.

When I did my TR4 cards last Summer I used a new piece of hardboard with the door holes cut into it. This was then over laid onto the door card and the clips positioned.  It sounds like extra work but it is easy work and it did work.

Roger

As Waldi says.

perhaps post a photo to show us the problem?, as i’m struggling to imagine it!

steve

The outer trim that goes around the door cards is much thicker than original ,,this does not allow the clips to open once pushed into the hole in the door , if you get a very sharp knife and trim off as much as that plastic trim around the clips as possible , and elsewhere , they will normally hold , sometimes you have to move the staples that hold it to the card as well.

graham

David I never thought of that, its not a bad idea. As Graham has stated on the repro door panels the board is definitely thicker so I think thats where your troubles lie.

Another point to take into consideration is if you take off the repro door card for whatever reason you will have greater difficulty in putting it back on due to the damage done to the holes in the board where the clips go onto, ask me how I know?

How is it the originals are thinner board but are more resiliant in this aspect whereas the repros turn to mush where the clips locate?

Alan G

I gave up on the door card clips and use chrome headed screws.  Yes, more holes in the door but so much easier.  The shiny screw heads  go well with the rest of the 'cockpit', black with shiny handles, inc TR4 door pulls, etc.

And as for those handle springs, mine have been cut to make it a little easier to fit the handle retaining pins.

Just saw this, later again. Like Ken I replaced the door cards on my TR6 and clips didn’t hold. I noticed one side were bent and virtually straight on the other. Using needle nose pliers I shaped the flatter side to match the other, worked a treat. Then I went on to struggle with the handles, well until I spoke to Neil Revington. Length of welding rod and a hacksaw was the answer.

• 3 months later...

It may be too late to help but I've just replaced all the clips on my TR4 door panels with some supplied by Jonathon Skinner. They are slightly bigger and perhaps a different grade of metal but they go into the holes with a satisfying clunk - and don't spring back out. For the first time in years the whole of the panel is firm on the door. Thoroughly recommended.