This one for anybody with a TR7V8 that has four carbs in the Vee.    I'm building, very slowly, a V8 powered car (not a TR) that has a 'boxer'  inlet manifold with four HIF-type SU carbs on it.   See below.

I'm running control cables to them, and find that while they throttle all at once via a linkage, the choke control only appears to adjust the rear two.     The front carbs have choke controls, but I can't see any linkage.    

Would choking just two of them be sufficient for cold starts, or should I be striving to adjust them all at once?

Thanks!

John

DSCF0037.JPG

Not really my area John, but I would have thought 2 would be sufficient to get it going. Doesn't look like the sort of engine to be tootaling down the shops on a frosty morning. 

Jerry

With 4 x SUs , I would be surprised if you ever needed to use any choke at all to start from cold, unless maybe you're regularly starting on sub-zero frosty mornings! 

Thank you, BT and Wayne!    I have asked elsewhere, and have been relieved to hear,  suck it and see - you'll probably be OK.

Not a problem to add a linkage, I'd just like to be able to tick that off the massive list of others in a total self build.

Wouldn't that be because Holley, Edelbrock & weber designs feature an accelerator pump so you can feed neat fuel in instead of a choke?

SU's do not have this feature.

Jerry

Yes, I use the accelerator pump to squirt fuel straight in to the inlet manifold before turning the key for an immediate cold start.  I don’t have to apply the choke to keep the RV8 from dying at idle or low revs until it’s warmed up. 

With the 2.0L engine on twin SU’s back in the day, I found the choke necessary to fire up from cold and also prevent it from dying at idle until warmed up.

Edited by BusheyTrader