Dave Gleed passes away aged 86

Sad news to pass on. Yesterday, we lost our last surviving link back to the Triumph Works Department , a loyal TR Register supporter, Group leader and friend to all of us, Dave Gleed. 

I have written a tribute to Dave here: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2022/02/0283/Dave-Gleed-Standard-Triumph-Works-Mechanic-passes-away-aged-86 

Please feel free to comment on the article with your own memories of Dave, I'll try and lift as many as I can for inclusion into the TR Action tribute. 

TR Action will be delayed for approximately a week whilst I modify the article we were carrying from Dave, detailing his memoirs of working on rectification within Triumph, hand written, in his own words. It will now read as part of his tribute. 

I'm sure you will join us all in passing our condolences on to his wife Margaret at this sad time. 

Thats very sad news indeed Dave was always a great man to talk to, I bought a fair few of his old factory tools too. He and Margaret always loved to see my old Springer Albert whenever we met up at the shows, he will be greatly missed.

Stuart.

Another of the “tribe” members of team Triumph passes.

Dave always had a word on how Triumph works mechanics had to “work the oracle” in the days of aspirations and no money to back it up. I once asked him about the torque figures in the Triumph manuals on whether they were “dry” or lubricated…that got a withering look ! “Nope, dry as a vicars toast” he said ( apparently they make do with tea), “ideas about lubricating threads had never made it to the Triumph engineers of the time”.

Dave is another greatly missed, my condolences to his wife Margaret.

Mick Richards

Very sad news. I bought quite a lot of parts from his autojumble stall in the 80s, and I'm running a Kenlowe fan that I bought from him after I relocated to Coventry. Nice guy to talk to.

Condolences to Margaret.

Pete

Edited by stillp

Very sad news, always enjoyed a good natter with Dave about his days in comps, working with Ken Richardson and the cars. A mine of information which he willingly shared. He will be sadly missed.
My sincere condolences to Margaret and family. 

Iain

I had a chat with Dave on a couple of occasions when on one occasion at Malvern he told me about his time at Standard-Triumph working on warranties. 

The subject of the overheating Triumph Stag came up, and he said emphatically with his signature roll-up in the corner of his mouth  ‘ d’you know what- that was nothing to do with the head or head gasket and all to do with the workers on the production line not being patient enough to fill the coolant fully and and leaving air in the system’. 

That was another long held myth put to rights by a very knowledgeable and pleasant man to pass the time of day with.

Kevin

One of the most friendly club members anyone could wish to meet. 

A regular at many CVTR events and a fan of the Pershore Plum Festival, attended specifically in order for Dave and Margaret to purchase a tray of Pershore Purples!

Wayne - timely acquisition of his stories for TR Action.

Condolences to Margaret and the family

RIP Dave, you will be much missed

A great shock to read about Dave Gleed passing away.

Maria and myself first met Dave and Margaret in 1980 after meeting them at the Lakes weekend. where we chatted over a few drinks. and we have remained friends with them ever since.

Like  others have said he was a mind of information. and a good friend to have. He will be sadly missed.

Our sincere condolences to Margaret and family.

Dave and Maria Lewis

Everything has been said above. Never knew the guy, although probably bought some odds and sods from him at Malvern, but for all of us he was a link to another time and like everybody I followed his musings with great interest -  sadly at a distance. 

james

Saddened to hear the news Dave has passed away, I always enjoyed time catching up with Dave he was a mine of information that he would freely share whilst smoking his roll up.

Sincere condolenses to Margaret and the family. 

Dave was one of the most helpful Tr members in the club. He really seemed to enjoy the IWE and added a lot to the show. He used to enjoy meeting my dog every year

Thanks for being a friend, and having so much knowledge

Richard & B

Yesterday lunchtime we were driving somewhere and Sue commented on how many of the old guard that we knew years ago in the TRR world have passed on.

Not unexpected considering ones age etc

Minutes later Sue gets pinged on her phone to say Dave had passed.

He had a long life and came over as a cheerful chap.  Many folk have said what a helpful and kind chap he was.

Condolences to his family 

RIP Dave

Roger

22 hours ago, Wayne Scott said:

Sad news to pass on. Yesterday, we lost our last surviving link back to the Triumph Works Department , a loyal TR Register supporter, Group leader and friend to all of us, Dave Gleed. 

I have written a tribute to Dave here: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2022/02/0283/Dave-Gleed-Standard-Triumph-Works-Mechanic-passes-away-aged-86 

Please feel free to comment on the article with your own memories of Dave, I'll try and lift as many as I can for inclusion into the TR Action tribute. 

TR Action will be delayed for approximately a week whilst I modify the article we were carrying from Dave, detailing his memoirs of working on rectification within Triumph, hand written, in his own words. It will now read as part of his tribute. 

I'm sure you will join us all in passing our condolences on to his wife Margaret at this sad time. 

I didn't know Dave, but, as a TRR member, he must have been a good guy.

My sincere condolences to his family.

As for delaying TRAction Wayne, now that the arrival of the mag is reliable, a deliberate and justified delay of a few days is really not important, given the significant reasons involved.

John

Dave was definitely one of the good guys. I'd always buy bits from him at the Internationals in the early 20's when I was in mid restoration. He always had bits you couldn't find  elsewhere and tricks of the Trade were also given generously , without any prompting. A Gent.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett

Hello Everyone
This is Lynne, the eldest daughter of Dave Gleed.  I’m sitting here with Mum reading your lovely comments.  We are still reeling from the shock and it is so comforting knowing there are so many people out there who loved him as much as we did.  Mum, Joy, Anne, Steve, Dave, Roger and I would like to thank everyone who has been in touch.  Funeral details will be announced through the local branch.

Thank you all so much for caring.

My condolences to you all.  I first met Dave when he very kindly invited us with caravan to be part of his group's stand at the Town and Country Festival in I think about 1981 rather than let us remain out in the field.  Since then I have bumped into him at countless meetings and always had a good chat about TRs and Coventry.  A top bloke who will be much missed.

Mike

To Daves family    the above posts show that he was much regarded and liked by the whole TR community .

It was always one of the first stalls to visit at the internationals and many other autojumbles  and chat with Dave and Margaret , what a font of knowledge he was.

a genuine nice guy / couple 

condolences  Roy

What can I say. Such a nice person that I got to know over last 30 years. A visit to his spares stand was a must at the various shows. Long discussions about TRs. Always ready with advice on fixing them. Don't use poly bushes use rubber I remember him adamantly saying on one occasion. If it was good enough for Triumph it was good enough.

Also saw him at several Cotswold Vale events with his wife. One of a kind. RIP Dave.

Keith

On 2/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, Wayne Scott said:

Daves funeral will be held at Canley Crematorium in Coventry at 13.30 Friday 25 February.  After at the Standard Triumph Club just off the A45. A cavalcade of Triumph vehicles will leave The Windmill Hotel on The A45 around 13.00 and travel west to the Meridan turn off over the A45 and back along towards Coventry passing the old Triumph building before arriving at the crem. 
Thank you for your messages
Lynne Gale
Dave & Margaret’s daughter
❤️

• 3 months later...

Yesterday, Margaret Gleed attended the Standard Triumph Picnic at the Walton Hall Hotel, seated in wheelchair being attended by daughter and grandson from Coventry, later joined by other daughter and son-in-law from Ross on Wye. 

Margaret's arthritis is very bad and she has carers attending twice a day as she is unable even to cook for herself.  However, she was as cheerful as ever and looked very well indeed.

She is trying to get rid of considerable quantities of parts and also a very decent-looking, soft-top TR7, which was there on the lawn (it has a tonneau).  Phil Horsley had a look at the car and might be able to give his thoughts.

Ian Cornish