Replacing suspension bushes with trailing arms in situ - is this feasible or sensible?

Hello folks,

I’m looking for some help / advice again. The suspension bushes and rubber parts both front and back have not been touched on my TR6 certainly in last 15 years and looking at history probably not since 1990’s. They look cracked at the edges and its been on my mind to get them replaced. I just wanted to ask how hard is it to do this? Is it possible to replace the rear trailing arm bushes without taking the trailing arm off i.e. in situ but with spring compressed / removed? I’ve also seen couple of You Tube videos  where the whole assembly is stripped down, repainted and reassembled. I’m not thinking to up rate any thing, so will replace with standard rubber. 

I know the “how hard is it ..” depends on the individuals skill. I have plenty of time on my hands so this maybe something I plan to do for next winter. I’m a home mechanic I would say, and I’ve completely replaced brakes, discs, piping, radiator, petrol tank, fuel hoses. I tend to plan doing these things in detail before I pick up any tool. But I also don’t want to start getting into  this and start thinking why did I do this!! 

Appreciate any advice as ever.

By the way the car is pretty standard. No upgrades or changes from the book version.

Hi Martin

Original rubber bushes do not come out easily, especially if they've been there for some time, the rubber glues it's self to the alloy and really the best way to remove them is by heating the central metal tube with a flame (blow lamp or similar) until the tube can be pushed out, then cut through the rubber with a junior hacksaw , careful not to cut into the TA, and yank the bush out with pliers or a pair of pincers, so with all of that you really do have to remove the trailing arms, you might be able to do it if the bushes had been replaced with the polyurethane split style, though I recently had to burn out some old poly bushes that had been in place for around 16 years. 

Cheers Rob    

Given that the trailing arms are held on by the bolts that pass through the bushes, there seems little merit in not removing the trailing arm. Sure the damper attachment and the brake pipe & cable may need removing but the job is so much easier on the bench (or floor).

just followed factory manual to replace bushings. would be difficult in situation for stock bushes.

Suspended brake with zip ties to  bracket in inner well that been used for shock absorber conversion. I converted back to Armstrong shocks.

edit: I replaced my squeaky polyurethane bushes with harder rubber ones from The Roadster Factory in the USA. If replacing split poly bushes with new split poly ones, I would think the spring still makes it very difficult to install. If putting in stock bushes, it takes some force to put them in.... much easier to do as in attached photo. 

thumbnail_IMG_2303.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2306.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2309 (2).jpg

Edited by Atl TR6

Thank you to all, Rob, Andy, Alt, Kev. Appreciate the advice and your experience. I know what i need to do now. I will wait till Autumn to do this.

5 hours ago, Atl TR6 said:

just followed factory manual to replace bushings. would be difficult in situation for stock bushes.

Suspended brake with zip ties to  bracket in inner well that been used for shock absorber conversion. I converted back to Armstrong shocks.

thumbnail_IMG_2309 (2).jpg

Just as well you changed out from those Shock brackets as they dont do the body work any good at all.

Stuart.

7 hours ago, Martin50 said:

Forgot to add. The photos are good / helpful.

FYI.... the picture with the bush being installed is step 1.  After getting it installed 3/4 of the way, used a piece of PVC pipe so bush could come out other side. Some people use a socket