Fit an OD. gearbox to a non OD car

Hi Chris,

there are no kits to upgrade your GB as such but there are plenty of OD GB's to buy in refurbished condition.

Is it worthwhile !!!!       A replacement box is about £2000 + the fitting. it will last 20 + years. So for £100/year you will experience better MPG

quieter MPH and a silly grin each tie you turn it on.

It will reduce your stress when driving at speed. It is just a better experience.  Go for it.

Your existing box is not worth much

Roger

Sort of. Contact https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk

I have just gone through this exercise and had bought an overhauled by them O/d unit from a show and then bought the new main shaft, adapter plate and some gaskets from them. If you can get an old unit then basically they will sort out a kit. May be worth contacting them anyway. The problem is that I don't think anyone makes new O/d units any more so you need an old one to exchange. You will ten simply need an inhibitor switch so will have to drill the cover on your old gearbox - easy. Also some wiring additions.

I bought the O/d unit for £350 a few years ago and last year the kit for £300.

1 hour ago, chris172 said:

Is fitting an OD gearbox to a non OD car a worthwhile project?

Do any of the suppliers do a 'kit'

Yes it’s worthwhile, I run a saloon O/D box on my 3a, easy conversion, there is lots of info on the forum about the swap

cheers

Alan

The short answer is, yes, it is worth it. I bought an ex-US TR6 to restore and fitted an overdrive gearbox as part of the project, knowing that I planned to do a lot of miles every year. The first big trip was a 2500-mile run around Europe for example. Motorway cruising is just more relaxing with an overdrive fitted.

However, if you don't expect to cover many miles a year and will mainly be pootling along A- and B-roads for example, then you will probably able to manage without an overdrive.

Matt

Edited by matt george
On 1/31/2022 at 6:34 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Chris,

there are no kits to upgrade your GB as such but there are plenty of OD GB's to buy in refurbished condition.

Is it worthwhile !!!!       A replacement box is about £2000 + the fitting. it will last 20 + years. So for £100/year you will experience better MPG

quieter MPH and a silly grin each tie you turn it on.

It will reduce your stress when driving at speed. It is just a better experience.  Go for it.

Your existing box is not worth much

Roger

There is the other alternative which is to go t ORS ( overdrive repair services) and ask them to overhaul your old gear box + do the Stag mod to the gear box lay shaft bearings and fit a J type O/D unit. This will save you a bit of money.

Bruce.