Vredestein tyres cracking on TR6

Manufactured in Holland.

Date marks: 2 are 52/15    2 are 02/16  put on the car in 2017

Kind regards,

Dave from Sunny  Spain

Hi John,

As I have said I am waiting for the Vredestein Area Manager to contact the technical dept at Vredestein in Holland. with their solution after looking at  the photos he has sent them three weeks ago. A bit more of a delay this week as his father died on Monday. I will contact him again next Monday.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Hi Dave and other contributors

The comment about Ozone degradation was interesting. Our 6 year old Mini Cooper has just been through the MOT and the front tyres were noted as having slight cracking on the treads. These are Michelins, dated 2/18, which have done about 30,000 miles and have about 2.5mm of tread left and are due for replacement. I've never come across cracking on the treads before, only sidewalls. We used to live on the seafront and the car was outside all the time, albeit at the rear of the property. Plenty of Ozone around!

As a matter of interest, I used my Durometer to measure the tyre hardness. This was 75 on both. By contrast, the rear tyres were changed since we moved inland - they are dated 8/21 and have a value of 65, ie the rubber is softer. The TR5 has Dunlops 195/65/R15 dated 49/20 and these have a value of 70.

(I've often wondered what values the racers look for with their tyres?)

Dave - best of luck with the Vredestein Area Manager. I hope you get good recompense.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I don't have high hopes with him as he keeps saying about the age of them, unless the report he submitted ( if he has, that is!) to the Technical guys at Vredestein say they  its a manufacturing fault.

We shall see.

Thanks anyway.

Kind Regards,

Dave from sunny Spain

4 hours ago, Roadrunner Paul said:

Hi Dave and other contributors

(I've often wondered what values the racers look for with their tyres?)

Kind regards

Paul

a fingerprint left in the softest compound after a run for sprints and hill climbs :ph34r:

Thanks very much everyone for your input.

The Area Manager is back to work today.

I am hoping to get a conclusion to this saga. I will let you all know.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Sunny Spain

Dave

Hopefully they will come back with something realistic.

There should be an expectation that wear and physical damage excepting tyres should last a minimum of 10 years. Unless you spill Acid all over them.:D

To have been fitted less than 5 years and be all but scrap because of cracks is unacceptable.

The 10 years should be from fittment date or we should all reject fitment of tyres over 3 months older than manufacturing date.

It is reported that classic cars average about 1200 miles per year, so based on Dave's under 5 years from fitment to scrap it gives you 5000 or so miles.

If Vredestein think under 5 years and 5000 miles is acceptable we should make this known in the classic car world to all other clubs and affiliated organisations. A bit of consumer pressure.

If they blame the sun in sunny Spain the question to ask is it normal that tyres in hot sunny countries last under 5 years?

As i have T Trac2's i'll be very interested to know what they say.

Cheers   Keith

Hi Keith 

Thanks for your input 

Vredestein do advertise these tyres  as  Summer Tyres, no mention of winter. Not that it matters don't really get a winter here.

I have travelled about 7000 kms on them .

I have phoned him twice today, no answer. Which is frustrating I would like  it all sorted, as I am going on a run to Andalucia with a group from the TR Reg (Spain) on 19th Feb. Of which he knows. The TR6 is still on axle stands. Try again tomorrow. 

Kind Regards  

Dave from sunny Spain 

In the UK we are protected from faulty goods by 'Consumer Rights'. All goods are expected to be of 'Reasonably Quality' and last a 'Reasonable length of time' and be 'Fit for Purpose!' We are also advised by Consumer Rights programs to purchase all goods over £100 with our 'Credit Cards' not our Bank Debit Cards. In that way the purchase deal is between the Credit Card Company and the Retail Supplier. It is the Retailer who is responsible for the goods they sell not the manufacturer! Dave your Tyre tread depth is proof that they are far from being worn out, and I presume are still within the legal tread depth and no doubt within the EU's age limit for car tyres? If so your tyres are 'Faulty Goods', and should be replaced free of charge regardless of any of the Retailers own Warranties or Guarantees! The cracking you have illustrated shouldn't have occurred even in a hot climate, and is highly doubtful that it has been caused by misuse or damage either.  

Thanks very much for your comments I  will look into that.

I will try to contact him today.

Kind regards,

Dave from sunny Spain

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.

I have been in contact with the Alicante area Manager for Vredestein, Spain. He says there is nothing more he can do. Not what I wanted to hear!.

I don't think he has done anything anyway.

My confidence in buying more Vredestein Tyres is not good. Just be cautious if you are contemplating buying them.

I think I will go for the Michelin XAS, look alikes,  They are Retro 001  from Nankang. 

Thanks everybody for their input, it is appreciated. 

Kind Regards,

Dave from Sunny Spain

In your position I would go to a solicitor and check my rights, assuming they agree you have a case (based upon what I said above in my previous post about consumers rights) I would instruct the solicitor to put the retailer on notice that if they didn't replace said faulty goods you will proceed to legal action. That usually gets results I find! 

Hi Dave,

if you want me to contact Vredestein in Holland just let me know. They may not even be aware, given the poor response from your local sales rep.

And their reputation is damaged by this. It would also be good to give the company a chance first.

Cheers,
Waldi

Hi John, Cp 26309 and Waldi,,

John I have sent all the information to the online company . I am waiting for a response to that.

We have a consumer organisation called Facua here in Spain, I have sent the information to them for their opinion, again waiting for a reply.

Thanks  Waldi  This area Manage for Vredestein said he is waiting for a reply to the report he says he sent to Holland.. He will let me know what it says.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Sunny Spain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The company I bought them from does not reply .

Vredestein says "we cannot meet the tire warranty demand as it is outside the deadline."

I have put the matter in the hands of a consumer organisation. I wait to hear if they say there is a case to answer.

It does make you wary about  buying tyres on line as tyres can be up to 2 years old from manufacture and classed as new.  

Thanks for your interest

Dave from Spain