Vredestein tyres cracking on TR6

Hi All,

Has anyone had Vredestein 165/80 x 15 86H tyres cracking? I increase the pressures when not in use and the car is covered completely with a dust sheet, in a carport outside the house.

I bought them online in 2016 but did not fit them until 2017 when I transferred the registration to Historic Vehicle. I have noticed for some time that the ryes on the rear have cracking on the inside of the tyre near the wheel rims one has cracking on the wall.

The fronts are not as bad but still show cracking, again on the inside in the same places. I have only done 7,000 KMS since on the road in 2017. The outside of the tyres are excellent as is the tread.

Vredestein have a manufacturing plant in Holland where the Sprint Classic tyres are made.. They are owned by Apollo an Indian company also manufacturing tyres in India.

I sent emails to india,, UK and Spain no response also to Holland they forwarded it to Spain. In November when I put the TR6 on to axle stands and took off all 4 wheels, still on the the stands now. .

After numerous telephone calls to the Area Manager for Alicante region finally came from Valencia  to looked at the tyres three weeks ago He said that the tyres were too old. I asked if this was a known problem, he said no. I told him I have not heard of this problem in all the time of having TR6's. He said he would contact Vredestein Technical dept. and get back to me I phoned last week, no response from them in Holland I think they are going to use the excuse of age,

I look forward to your comments.  I have managed to post some photos they are further down this thread

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain.

Edited by dave-lewis
add photos

My current Vredestein tyres were purchased and fitted in April 2017, no signs of cracking or other distress and has been used as my daily-driver. Mine are T-Trac2’s rather than Sprints though ( I’d expect Sprints to be better then T-Tracks given their price-tag)

……. Andy 

Thank you Andy

Hi Dave

I found the following on the AA site which might help. I would check the age of the tyres as you might have been sold old tyres. It doesn't sound as though they have been damaged by Sun light as the cracking is on the inside of the tyre. I would stand firm and expect them to replace them as they are not that old. Have you been in touch with the seller.

Best of luck

Roger

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/tyre-life-and-age#age

No problem with the Sprints on my TR4 or the TTracs on my TR3 at around six years old. What is the date mark on the tyres? If they didn’t come from an official distributor they could have been a few years old when you purchased them. 

It seems that Roger can type faster than me :-)

Edited by Drewmotty

Hi Roger and Andrew,

Dates on the tyres are 52/15,Front 52/15 Rear, 02/16 Front and 01/16 Spare. 

Haven't thought about the seller as it was an online Tyre seller. That is why I went to the Manufacturer.

Thanks for your input both.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply Increased just by a few pounds.

Max pressure is 51Ilbs PSI

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

It very well could be Waldi, thanks for that.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Hi Dave,

My Vredestein Sprint Classics (2012) are due to be replaced (likely by Nankang Classics) but show no cracking.

But I found one or two  radially oriented “ribs” indicating a couple of reinforcing threads have failed.

Waldi

Thanks Waldi,

They have really shot up in price. I have seen the Nankang Retro tyres ( Michelin XAS lookalikes) they are a lot cheaper.

Kind Regards 

Dave from sunny Spain 

I had a set of tyres crack on a Ford focus after about 8 months, Goodyears. I went straight to the manufacturer who wanted photos first then the tyres back. They gave me a 100% refund even though the tyres had done about 10k miles. The dealer who replaced them said if I had taken the car to them first would have only offered a percentage due to wear. So my experience is the manufacturers were the route to go, they seemed genuinely interested that the compound was failing so soon.

Alan

Hi Dave

I've had a number of tyres crack and fail am MOT, well more like get advisory and the comment that it won’t be passed next year.

They were Goodyear F1’s on my, the wife’s the wife’s, little used (Cough Cough) MG- TF, but they were 10 to 12 years old from memory and I kind of expect them to only last that long esp as it has to live outside due to the TR being garaged. My recent-ish Vredestein 165 TTrac2’s were looking ok last time I looked, maybe time for an inspection.

But tyres on a cars stored inside or at least out of direct sunlight should last 10 years at least.

I’ve be very disappointed if Sprint Classics couldn’t make 10 years due to modern materials given the price that gets charged for them.

Best of luck with a refund, even if only partial.

Cheers  Keith   

On 1/31/2022 at 6:03 PM, dave-lewis said:

Hi All,

Has anyone had Vredestein 165/80 x 15 86H tyres cracking? I increase the pressures when not in use and the car is covered completely with a dust sheet, in a carport outside the house.

I bought them online in 2016 but did not fit them until 2017 when I transferred the registration to Historic Vehicle. I have noticed for some time that the ryes on the rear have cracking on the inside of the tyre near the wheel rims one has cracking on the wall.

The fronts are not as bad but still show cracking, again on the inside in the same places. I have only done 7,000 KMS since on the road in 2017. The outside of the tyres are excellent as is the tread.

Vredestein have a manufacturing plant in Holland where the Sprint Classic tyres are made.. They are owned by Apollo an Indian company also manufacturing tyres in India.

I sent emails to india,, UK and Spain no response also to Holland they forwarded it to Spain. In November when I put the TR6 on to axle stands and took off all 4 wheels, still on the the stands now. .

After numerous telephone calls to the Area Manager for Alicante region finally came from Valencia  to looked at the tyres three weeks ago He said that the tyres were too old. I asked if this was a known problem, he said no. I told him I have not heard of this problem in all the time of having TR6's. He said he would contact Vredestein Technical dept. and get back to me I phoned last week, no response from them in Holland I think they are going to use the excuse of age,

I look forward to your comments.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain.

Are certain that this is not UV light attack caused by the climate in Spain???

Bruce.

Ozone also degrades the rubber in tyres significantly.

Are you near to the coast by any chance?

Tim

Hi Bruce, Tim,

Thanks for your input.

I live in the countryside 25 kms from the coast. The car is well covered. The cracks are on the inside of the tyres.

Kind Regards,

Dave from sunny Spain 

Hi Dave,

hope you and your safe keeping well?

There is something odd here, I would suggest something, environmental or operational?

Curious that only the inner sidewalls are cracking, rears worst but fronts to some extent?

e.g. Just thinking out loud as you might say, do the rears have a degree of excessive camber?

From a manufacturers point of view, both sidewalls have been made the same, so if one side cracks, then something is happening to it that isnt happening to the other side, sure you wash the outsides, much more than the insides, I know I do, so are you collecting something, somehow, that is being washed from the outside but staying on the inside? Also are the cracks near the wheel rim, or up the sidewall? are they radial, i.e. along the line of the wheel, or in line with the tyre sidewall cords.- photo might help.

Just trying to get you, and others, to 'Think outside the box' as it were.

John.

Thanks John,

I will try and take photos but it is difficult. I am no David Bailey:D

The setup is  all good. Tyres are clean on the inside due to lack of rain mud etc.

Thanks John,

Kind Regards,

Dave from Sunny Spain

Photos  of cracking. As I said the cracking going around the tyre next to the rim. the crazing appears to be on the two rear tyres. 

The outer tread the "scrubbing " is normal wear so I have read.  

20220203_104833.jpg

Tyres 2.jpg

Tyres.jpg

tyres 3.jpg

The third photo down shows what could be scuffing on the side-wall.  Are there any heavily cambered  tracks or speed humps that you have to straddle, in your area? 

Hi John the same both sides rear tyres

Hi Rob,  No It may look like scuffing, it's just the tyres dirty.

Thanks both.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Sunny Spain