Your first time in motorsport

First co promoted road rally after a series of 12 cars, Lindholme MC - Thompson Trophy 1978
mini..png.9244141769fce33e24f64ae584cfbdd9.png

crossing a ford near Gamston, trying to keep the electrics/distributor dry.............

For me it was a shared drive with dad who let me have a go at Colerne sprint 1991. 
Alvis 4.3 special. 1st in handicap  so beat dad :o

it would be many years before I could do it with my own car. My wonderful TR3a  Mira 2017

you all know the rest as you’ve been there with me. 

76F795CD-6D8E-4DE7-9F04-BA879C154757.jpeg

C4174729-C396-43F9-95F6-4108B71348D6.jpeg

C6C22199-31C4-4FFC-BF81-A83C79E287E3.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Pic

P1010501.thumb.JPG.4225f962ecc447d3b854830dcd57ee40.JPG

TR3 P1010499.thumb.JPG.9849e863a7b20a4680b3288ceaa0b43f.JPGP1010500.thumb.JPG.1dd0cc1e5c1fdfee900e1fb182bf90dd.JPGTR 3 mixing it with the big boy's in an FIA race in the wet in 2000

2 photo's of the TR3 Beta in the 1990's being attacked by V8s

Edited by roy53
spelling

If non-TR's are allowed, and by the above they are, I first went racing and still do in my Vitesse.

This was my first, Old Blue, on the Mountain at Cadwell, my second race, 1995.   It was bog-standard, everywhere, except for a roll-over bar and fire extinguisher.   I even borrowed the crash helmet.

Cadwell - 1st season.jpg

Edited by john.r.davies
3 hours ago, openroad said:

Great pics lads.

Hey Neil, looks like a Nottinghamshire Registration  ?

Conrad.

It is Conrad and the event in your neck of the woods but where? I showed somebody today the photo album with all my old competition cars right up to international events but looks like somebody only wants Tr’s so maybe not a good idea 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 8:45 AM, Kevo_6 said:

This is great, more pics please. Love to see ANY cars.

+1

I’m not sure if it’s an officially recognized motor sport, but I used to take part in the “VW high jump competition” that was held every so often on a beach near where I used to live.

This was inspired by watching “The Thomas Crown Affair” and some idiot saying, “Why don’t we try that?”

This is me in my Karmann Ghia, just before I sold it and bought my TR.

A non-VW owning friend tried it in his Jeep, only to make a height of about 2 inches before grounding on a ramp and discovering 4WD is not much use if none of the 4 wheels are actually in contact with the ground.

The jollity (errrm…sorry…”Motor sport”) used to end up with a competition to see how far we could drive through the sea before the engine got so wet it died.
(The Jeep did a lot better in that event.)

51 years ago…

Fun…
Silly……
Carefree days.

Charlie.

KGjump1Small.jpg

KGjump2Small.jpg

KGseasmall.jpg

Jeep2Small.jpg

Edited by Charlie D
14 hours ago, Charlie D said:

I’m not sure if it’s an officially recognized motor sport, but I used to take part in the “VW high jump competition” that was held every so often on a beach near where I used to live.

This was inspired by watching “The Thomas Crown Affair” and some idiot saying, “Why don’t we try that?”

This is me in my Karmann Ghia, just before I sold it and bought my TR.

A non-VW owning friend tried it in his Jeep, only to make a height of about 2 inches before grounding on a ramp and discovering 4WD is not much use if none of the 4 wheels are actually in contact with the ground.

The jollity (errrm…sorry…”Motor sport”) used to end up with a competition to see how far we could drive through the sea before the engine got so wet it died.
(The Jeep did a lot better in that event.)

51 years ago…

Fun…
Silly……
Carefree days.

Charlie.

KGjump1Small.jpg

KGjump2Small.jpg

now that's good air !!!!!!

Edited by Hamish
On 2/13/2022 at 8:50 PM, Charlie D said:

WHAT AN AMAZING PHOTOGRAPH!!! :)

KGseasmall.jpg

The Masters All-comers race at Brands Hatch GP,2016 was my first ever race, in Karl Wetherell's FIA TR4. In at the deep end! The guy in the Ginetta was a novice in someone else's car and held me up on every single corner. I got past him a couple of times, but he'd just out accelerate me every time. 

Since bringing the car back in one piece, he invited me to share the drive at quite a few more events. Looking forward to getting back out there this year, after 2 years off. 

Ben

FB_IMG_1644999181517.jpg

Edited by Revival Motorsport
On 2/17/2022 at 9:23 AM, roy53 said:

I saw that race Ben ,well done first time out.

Roy

Thanks Roy! It was a bit of a mixed bunch-semi pro drivers in 400bhp+ cars on slicks on track at the same time. Just had to bring the car back in one piece! Our lap times are almost identical now, so we make a consistent team in longer races. 

Ben