TR6 LHD to RHD Wiring Issues

Hi Folks

I have carried out a LHD USA Spec TR6 to RHD conversion and I am now installing a new wiring loom that I purchased from Moss motors, the original commissioning number is CF269U September 1972 but model year 1973 according to the vehicle identification. Prior to buying the RHD harness from Moss I reviewed wiring diagrams on the "advancedautowire" website and chose the 1973 diagram as this had the ignition switch with 6 tabs as per original wire harness that I removed. Moss supply various options for RHD so I chose part TP57C for TR6 CP50001 to CR1.

During the installation of the harness I have noticed quite a few differences, firstly the original harness had 3 tabs for the oil switch, it appears the new has one, I believe this to be brown but wiring diagrams appear so different to the new harness but BS-AU7 colour code for vehicles states brown wire? secondly there are 3 brown wires that i have no idea where they should connect, I presume to battery positive terminal?? the old harness has 3 brown wires that connected to a connection block on the main feed to the starter on the other side of the engine bay. There are also some white wires which I don’t know where to connect, I have attach some photos 3 slides that should help explain my problem. Finally, there are two brown wires that appear to be for the starter as they are wrapped with the white and read wire for the solenoid. 

SO

• 3 wires adjacent to alternator :- brown oil pressure switch? white/brown wire ?? white wire coil + ??? 
  • spare white wires next to the window wash pump?
  • white wire adjacent to fuse box?
  • 3 brown adjacent to fuse box?
  • 2 brown wires for starter

TR6 Wiring Harness.pdf

Paul

Have you downloaded the full set of Dan Master's original wiring schematics? They're for US cars but the colour helps and most is transferable to RHD cars.  https://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Photos 1 & 3

I think the two brown wires to the alternator share the load - one big, one small. They should be the same two brown wires that terminate in ring terminals on the starter motor. You could check this with a continuity tester. The thick red battery lead connects the battery to the same terminal on the starter motor.

The white/red wire goes to the solenoid terminal on the starter motor - I think it may need a spade connector. Again you can check with a continuity tester - the other end should be the starter contact on the ignition switch.

The white/brown lead you are holding is for the oil pressure switch. This has a black sleeve over much of it's free length. The free white lead should go to the coil + terminal. Don't forget you'll need to connect the - terminal to the points in the distributor (a short black lead with a spade terminal on each end). The brown/yellow lead connects to the ignition warning light terminal on the alternator. The green/blue lead also with a black cover sheath connects to the temp sensor on the water pump. 

Photo 2

As far as the brown leads are concerned I think you are missing a connector. Part 32 on this Moss diagram https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/electrical-system/wiring-harnesses-fittings/wiring-harness-fittings-tr5-6-1967-76.html . I can see two spare holes in the inner wing just in front of the fuse box - this is where the connector is rivetted in place. The connector is a legacy from when alternators had external regulators. The two brown wires join together in the connector block. The free white lead is probably the feed to the PI fuel pump and it probably connects to one of the free white wires behind the wiper motor. Again you can check with a continuity tester. If so then you can leave it free as you are running carbs. The other free white lead behind the wiper motor would be the feed to the fuel pump in the boot. The two white wires are for a bulkhead mounted inertia cut out switch for the fuel pump.

Hope this helps

Good luck!

David

5 hours ago, WWT338J said:

Paul

Have you downloaded the full set of Dan Master's original wiring schematics? They're for US cars but the colour helps and most is transferable to RHD cars.  https://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Photos 1 & 3

I think the two brown wires to the alternator share the load - one big, one small. They should be the same two brown wires that terminate in ring terminals on the starter motor. You could check this with a continuity tester. The thick red battery lead connects the battery to the same terminal on the starter motor.

The white/red wire goes to the solenoid terminal on the starter motor - I think it may need a spade connector. Again you can check with a continuity tester - the other end should be the starter contact on the ignition switch.

The white/brown lead you are holding is for the oil pressure switch. This has a black sleeve over much of it's free length. The free white lead should go to the coil + terminal. Don't forget you'll need to connect the - terminal to the points in the distributor (a short black lead with a spade terminal on each end). The brown/yellow lead connects to the ignition warning light terminal on the alternator. The green/blue lead also with a black cover sheath connects to the temp sensor on the water pump. 

Photo 2

As far as the brown leads are concerned I think you are missing a connector. Part 32 on this Moss diagram https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/electrical-system/wiring-harnesses-fittings/wiring-harness-fittings-tr5-6-1967-76.html . I can see two spare holes in the inner wing just in front of the fuse box - this is where the connector is rivetted in place. The connector is a legacy from when alternators had external regulators. The two brown wires join together in the connector block. The free white lead is probably the feed to the PI fuel pump and it probably connects to one of the free white wires behind the wiper motor. Again you can check with a continuity tester. If so then you can leave it free as you are running carbs. The other free white lead behind the wiper motor would be the feed to the fuel pump in the boot. The two white wires are for a bulkhead mounted inertia cut out switch for the fuel pump.

Hope this helps

Good luck!

David

Dave

Big thanks for the promt reply, when looking at the ignition connections the loom looks that its not correct, so tonight more research suggests I should have bought the loom for the CR model not CP. The CR is from 1973 to 1976 my car USA September 72 production but a 1973 model hence the confusion. I have removed the new harness and cleaned and will send back to Moss for a refund/exchange, hopefully the craful clean and repack will secure the refund/exchange their catalouge is very poor with regards to wiring harness. Lesson learned I should have gone direct to Autosparks which I did initially by sending them an email but they never bothered to respond. Thanks for the help.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul

Yes it would have made sense to purchase a RHD CR loom rather than a RHD CP item, however its done now and you just have to improvise. The simgle white wire in pic 2 at the fuse box is fitted with the double white on a piggyback connector on a 1972 model that is however if you look in the Dan Masters book the 1973 model has only one white wire going to the fuse box. The 2 white wires in the same shot go to the Inertia switch for PI cars (mounted onto the vertical face of the scuttle) which yours isn't so these will be superfluous. You will also find that the interior light wires will be a lot longer as well as the light went from the back of the handbrake tunnel to under the dash. You will find a few other anomalies too. Find a wiring diagram in the "Brown Bible" and go forward from there........ hopefully!

Alan G

11 hours ago, Paul Drescher said:

Dave

Big thanks for the promt reply, when looking at the ignition connections the loom looks that its not correct, so tonight more research suggests I should have bought the loom for the CR model not CP. The CR is from 1973 to 1976 my car USA September 72 production but a 1973 model hence the confusion. I have removed the new harness and cleaned and will send back to Moss for a refund/exchange, hopefully the craful clean and repack will secure the refund/exchange their catalouge is very poor with regards to wiring harness. Lesson learned I should have gone direct to Autosparks which I did initially by sending them an email but they never bothered to respond. Thanks for the help.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul

This is a wiring diagram that I altered to show my 1972 CP car, it my help.

*** Sorry did not read the post thoroughly, probably not very helpful now as you’re sending the loom back.

TR6 kg wiring Diagram.pdf

Edited by Kevo_6
3 minutes ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Paul

This is a wiring diagram that I altered to show my 1972 CP car, it my help.TR6 kg wiring Diagram.pdf

The original harness was made by a Lucas company called Rists Wire and Cable,  bought by the German competition, they would do there own thing and Rists had their own colour coding spec. I do have a copy of the original colour coding spec. if I can find it I will put it on this thread.

Bruce.