Jump to content

Wiper Wheel Box- Any Recommendations


Recommended Posts

Hi All

Just changing a wiper wheel box on my TR4a. There are quite a few out there, which may or may not emanate from the same source I don’t know?

Does anyone have a recommendation please for a wheel box manufacturer or supplier who makes/ sells a decent, reliable copy? I think I can re-use the original Lucas spacers and washer assy.
 

Regards

Kevin
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Roger

I’ve contacted them but they say the rack actually jumps out of the reproduction part (37H6316) on around a 40% ratio! They can’t tell me who the manufacturer is but I notice it’s Classic Gold on Moss.

I’m sure I’ve seen a UK made part on an old thread that’s supposed to be better quality?

Kevin

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Kevin,

 ones that I have bought from the TR Shop have worked well and lasted.

 

Roger

+1 Kevin. But see my advice attached and picture.

Tim

Testing Wheel Box.JPG

Wiper Wheel Boxes.docx

Link to post
Share on other sites

I removed the cable, turned the spindles 180°, turned the cable over and replaced it. The cable now runs on an unworn set ot teath so no slop plus not a lot of work and no cost

George 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, harlequin said:

I removed the cable, turned the spindles 180°, turned the cable over and replaced it. The cable now runs on an unworn set ot teath so no slop plus not a lot of work and no cost

George 

That’s what the last owner thought 30 years ago when he first spun the orientation 180 deg :D

Mick Richards

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the collective wisdom and experience as always and recommendations from Roger, Tim, Stuart and Chris. They’re important installation notes you’ve written up there Tim to stop the rack jamming which are definitely worth following when fitting the reproduction.

I’ve been offered an NOS Lucas set with rack so will probably go this route as I prefer to keep the car OEM if poss. 

Failing that I would have gone for one of the repro’s. I’m curious to know how many different manufacturers make these. The Moss one is definitely Classic Gold which I thought was Chinese though some, possibly Stuart’s suggestion seem to be U.K. made as some claim to be?

Regards

Kevin

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

That’s what the last owner thought 30 years ago when he first spun the orientation 180 deg :D

Mick Richards

On mine it was the splines which had worn resulting in the loss of a wiper arm in torrential rain! 

I suppose if the sweep is 120 degrees there might be 2 other positions the gear could be placed? 
 

Kevin

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

On mine it was the splines which had worn resulting in the loss of a wiper arm in torrential rain! 

I suppose if the sweep is 120 degrees there might be 2 other positions the gear could be placed? 
 

Kevin

You don't know untill you try it :)

G

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2022 at 1:04 PM, stuart said:

According to Alan T who rebuilds the wiper motors these are a good repro https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222521442203?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Stuart.

This where I got mine from, really well made

David

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a previous tread I shared my experience about mounting the wiper wheel box in the car, which is not a straight forward job. Hopeful this tips can makes the job easier for you.

Your concern: "Locating the rack tube into the wiper box is no joke thro the small opening 2" x 21/2 "!!! "

What I did a couple of years ago was putting rubber bands around the both parts of the wiper box (see picture). It allows you to put in the rack tube and it will be kept there by the rubberband until you fix it by the screws. Afterwards, the rubber bands can be cut.

Succes!

 

Jean-Marie

Wiperbox.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks and having had a look at the reproduction which Stuart recommended they do look pretty good. Along with David’s advice having used them I’ve placed an order.  I’ll follow Tim’s guide as he has experience setting up the reproduction. I’ve also got other parts to replace so hopefully it’ll keep the cost down.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits
Link to post
Share on other sites

A delight of a job to do.

Bought the replacement from  Lincolnshire supplier.

Put it together to discover the "cog" was spinning on the axle.

So far the replacement has worked but limited wet use as had the engine out until the autumn.

Not sure if they are all the same repro garbage, if I was unlucky or there are better ones out there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

A delight of a job to do.

Bought the replacement from  Lincolnshire supplier.

Put it together to discover the "cog" was spinning on the axle.

So far the replacement has worked but limited wet use as had the engine out until the autumn.

Not sure if they are all the same repro garbage, if I was unlucky or there are better ones out there.

There are, the one I quoted above is the best of the bunch.

Stuart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2022 at 4:17 PM, boxofbits said:

Thanks for the collective wisdom and experience as always and recommendations from Roger, Tim, Stuart and Chris. They’re important installation notes you’ve written up there Tim to stop the rack jamming which are definitely worth following when fitting the reproduction.

I’ve been offered an NOS Lucas set with rack so will probably go this route as I prefer to keep the car OEM if poss. 

Failing that I would have gone for one of the repro’s. I’m curious to know how many different manufacturers make these. The Moss one is definitely Classic Gold which I thought was Chinese though some, possibly Stuart’s suggestion seem to be U.K. made as some claim to be?

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I see that you had second thoughts and went for a pair of repro items, since they were recommended by Stuart I'm sure they will work out fine. I would be interested to know what you were quoted for the Lucas NOS parts. Back in June 2009 when I had my issue with repros the TR Shop quoted me - I hope you're sitting down - £205.85 including VAT at the then prevailing rate of 15% for a Lucas pair! They sourced the repro ones from  Moss and frankly told me they were aware of the issue of iffy dimensional control that could lead to the problem I experienced. It is very disapppointing to read that this is still the case over 12 years later.

Tim

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.