stainless steel bumpers

Hi All

Dose anyone know what make/ who makes the stainless bumpers supplied by Rimmer Bros, and are they any good. The chap on the phone thought they were British made.

Most of the suppliers seem to stock Harrington from Vietnam, any problems with these, quality, fit etc ?

(I haven't found anyone happy to recommend  re chroming service)

27 minutes ago, R Luke said:

Hi All

Dose anyone know what make/ who makes the stainless bumpers supplied by Rimmer Bros, and are they any good. The chap on the phone thought they were British made.

Most of the suppliers seem to stock Harrington from Vietnam, any problems with these, quality, fit etc ?

(I haven't found anyone happy to recommend  re chroming service)

It may cost more to re-chrome than going to the SS way.

If you are in the London area then Colonnade  In Wembley do a very good job and can straighten any dings and bends

Roger

16 hours ago, RogerH said:

It may cost more to re-chrome than going to the SS way.

If you are in the London area then Colonnade  In Wembley do a very good job and can straighten any dings and bends

Roger

Current Colonnade pricing is £840 +vat and 8 weeks lead time. I think that this is more costly than S/S??

Bruce.

I'm willing to be proven wrong but I'd be suprised if more than one company has jigged up to make S/S bumpers... My understanding is that they are made in vietnam...Folk that have fitted them seem extremely pleased with them.

I notice the TR shop in Chiswick is selling them...might be worth comparing with the Rimmer bros price!!

Edited by jogger321

Interesting MGBhive are quoting brand new tooling by Tex Automotive (part of BMHL). Is there enough demand to warrant the cost of new tooling to manufacture stainless steel? I wonder if they are stamped or fabricated.  Mine were from TR shop but made in Vietnam. Quality is excellent given they are fabricated from separate pieces of SS & welded up. Whoever is doing the welding does a cracking job.

Alan

Shame they don't do the earlier CP / CC series bumpers, these all appear to be the boxed in bumpers which sit both further out and lower from the front valence than the earlier type. 

Derek 

17 hours ago, Iruka said:

Tex seem to have a problem telling me what grade S/S their front bumper is made of? They do not make the rear one yet? I told them that I would not buy there's unless it was marine grade or 304 type which is what Harrington have made for them. That type will easy pass the salt spray test! Some types of S/S do rust???

Bruce.

19 hours ago, jogger321 said:

I'm willing to be proven wrong but I'd be suprised if more than one company has jigged up to make S/S bumpers... My understanding is that they are made in vietnam...Folk that have fitted them seem extremely pleased with them.

I notice the TR shop in Chiswick is selling them...might be worth comparing with the Rimmer bros price!!

Well looks like I was completely wrong and there are a few versions now available!

19 hours ago, jogger321 said:

Wonder if there are any plans to make sets for early CP cars given the variable quality and chroming costs.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 6:49 PM, super6al said:

Interesting MGBhive are quoting brand new tooling by Tex Automotive (part of BMHL). Is there enough demand to warrant the cost of new tooling to manufacture stainless steel? I wonder if they are stamped or fabricated.  Mine were from TR shop but made in Vietnam. Quality is excellent given they are fabricated from separate pieces of SS & welded up. Whoever is doing the welding does a cracking job.

Alan

Looking at the Vietnam factory set up they are bent around a forming mandrel to give the outline shape. Therefore tooling costs would not be that high??

Bruce.