DVLA driving licence

Has anyone had any success in contacting the DVLA.?  I have been trying since last December and I have had no reply. I have sent 3 letters to Swansea SA99 1TU and had no reponse. There're a variety of telephone numbers and they are not answered or the DVLA play a recording and terminate the call.

I am hoping that the TR register has members in Wales and maybe someone lives in Swansea and knows a DVLA worker. 

I would appreciate any help because I need help with my driving licence

Thanks for any help at all.

Richard & B

Thanks Roger,

I was on that site about three weeks ago but it does not help much. The telephone numbers and emails are all a bit cold. I was hoping for a personal contact , but it looks to be a bit difficult.

I am still hoping for a Swansea based TR3a owner, who reads this and is available for some shortcuts.

Thanks Richard & B

Sorry to be a pessimist but starting in June last year I tried to contact the DVLA over and over again

Never did get anywhere, pointless messages, terminated calls and unattended emails

All hiding behind covid

The DVLA is a disaster area at the moment Richard. They have a huge backlog of work due to sickness and an industrial dispute.

It is possible none of your letters have even been read yet.  According to reports in the press, they have now just started working on correspondence from last November so maybe you have to wait a bit longer for a response.  

It took six months from application for my renewed licence to come through last year. 

10 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

How did you get it resolved in the end.

Thanks Richard & B

I got nowhere

It resolved itself when my licence arrived in October

Same at DWP.

Helping someone who has been underpaid State pension by about £1k each year despite having 43 years fully paid up NI contributions as confirmed by HMRC account. All correspondence to them Recorded Delivery - The signatures are always"Covid"! Nil acknowledgement / response. They have a phone line, but 40 years experience as a litigator means I know that written evidence is required in any dispute.

Covid is not an excuse. Until recently I worked for a professional regulator. From day one of the first lockdown, the only staff (volunteers) who visited the offices did so to collect post and redirect to relevant staff at home. Service maintained pretty much seamlessly...

Miles

After trying to contact DVLA since December I tried calling the landline at exactly 8.00 am. this morning and it did actually ring this time.After more that an hour it was answered. The young lady  checked my licence and informed me that as long as I followed the doctors instructions I was allowed to drive as per the licence. I can see that I now have to encourage the doctors to accept my recent Driving Assessment. 

I will book a telephone appointment for tomorrow. This is all because I was knocked unconscious by a large cow last year.

Any advice for encouraging the doctor. Thanks

Richard & B.

5 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

After trying to contact DVLA since December I tried calling the landline at exactly 8.00 am. this morning and it did actually ring this time.After more that an hour it was answered. The young lady  checked my licence and informed me that as long as I followed the doctors instructions I was allowed to drive as per the licence. I can see that I now have to encourage the doctors to accept my recent Driving Assessment. 

I will book a telephone appointment for tomorrow. This is all because I was knocked unconscious by a large cow last year.

Any advice for encouraging the doctor. Thanks

Richard & B.

Those country women are a strong bunch.

DRIVING LICENCE

Because I declared an eye condition (Centro-Serous Retinopathy) when I reached 70, I am required to pass a test every 3 years to satisfy the DVLA that I can see where I am driving.

My Licence was due to expire on 2nd August 2021, and I submitted the forms by post in the middle of May.  By mid-July, I was becoming concerned that I had heard nothing about the usual sight test, so rang DVLA and, after about half an hour, was informed that, under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, I could continue to drive as long as I had confirmation from my Doctor that my eyesight met the required standards.  As I see an Ophthalmic Consultant at Stoke Mandeville Hospital on a regular basis, I obtained a letter from him on 20th July, confirming that my eyesight met the required standards.

On 7th September, I received a letter from the DVLA requiring me to have a sight test within 4 weeks i.e. by 5th October.  I collected newly-prescribed spectacles from Specsavers in Thame on 22nd September and, because the Thame branch does not have the necessary equipment, arranged to have the DVLA testing conducted at Specsavers in Oxford (the nearest venue on the DVLA’s list).  I attended Specsavers in Oxford on the morning of 4th October, underwent the two parts of the test, and was informed that the paperwork would be transmitted to the DVLA electronically that very afternoon.

Nearing Christmas, I had heard nothing since from the DVLA, so wrote on 12th December, outlining this history and stating that I am continuing to drive on the basis that I have fulfilled the DVLA’s requirements and hence am permitted to do so under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Another 6 weeks have passed, and still nothing from DVLA, and the Licence in my wallet says that it expired last August.

I had been considering a touring holiday in France this autumn – something we have undertaken on a number of occasions – but I wonder what action the French Police might take were I to be stopped and asked to show my papers (something which has never happened to me in the past).  Would I be consigned to a French jail?  Is the food in a French jail superior to that here, and do they serve wine, I wonder?

Ian Cornish

We seldom receive post on a Saturday, but this morning a deluge came through the letter box.

Amongst this was a brown envelope with my new Driving Licence!  Someone at DVLA must have known of my concern.

To my surprise, the Expiry date is not 3 years from my birthday last July, but is three years from now - 28/01/2025.

Maybe there's hope for others of you who have been waiting a long time.

Ian Cornish

Mike - that is the sort of service which used to apply before COVID and DVLA shifted to working from home.

One wonders whether Marilyn was just exceptionally fortunate, or DVLA has managed to put its house in order.

I hope it's the latter, as many people are awaiting driving tests, HGV tests, and various licences.

Ian Cornish

The on-line renewal process has worked well through out because it needs little if any human intervention.

The problems affect only those who do not fit the limited cases allowed for automatic on-line processing and nothing has changed there.  If it is ink-on-paper there is still a very long delay.  

On 1/28/2022 at 5:30 PM, ianc said:

DRIVING LICENCE

Because I declared an eye condition (Centro-Serous Retinopathy) when I reached 70, I am required to pass a test every 3 years to satisfy the DVLA that I can see where I am driving.

Ian Cornish

Ian

I had to renew my licence at 70

I now have to renew my licence every 3 years.

It's because I'm 70, which, I hope, applies to the rest of the driving UK

But is there a mandatory sight test every 3 years from 70 onwards, or is it applied solely to people such as myself, who declared an existing condition in my eyesight ?

I have read some frightening stories of older folk being stopped by the police and found to be incapable of reading a number plate at the prescribed distance.  One old man was driving at 10mph on a main road and had been spotted by a number of other motorists who called the police..  When stopped and checked, the police found him incapable of reading a number plate - so that's where his journey ended.

I believe that a sight test every 3 years should be mandatory from 70 onwards, and the sight test should cover not just ability to read number plate but also peripheral vision, where one looks into a hemisphere and clicks each time a small light flashes somewhere.  At the recent test, I scored 98% on the peripheral test, but the optometrist agreed that it was possible that the rims of my spectacles had blanked out a few lights, so she tested me with specs removed and I scored 100%, which was reassuring.  I have no idea what percentage is required for a Pass.

Ian Cornish

Just you I'm afraid Ian. 

I just filled in a self certification form (on line) to tell them I did not have any condition which would restrict my ability to drive safely.

Licence arrived shortly after.  Another year and a bit and I will be doing it again !

Bob

I had no issue with on line renewal but there are some restriction to permitted groups. mostly towing and weight restrictions.

If you wish to retain certain groups you have to send a paper application and proof of good eyesight and health. However I do know of some people over 70 renewing for the  second or third time being refused on line application even with no medical issues and with the restriction to groups in place.

Bit of a lottery at the moment

Bri

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Has anyone had any issues with the automatic renewal at 70, and reduction of groups permitted to drive?

John.

If you want to retain minibus driving entitlement I think you need to apply manually and have a medical.  Also I have heard of people losing their motorcycle entitlement, best to check new licence carefully against the old one.

Mike