Car scissor lifts and similar products

Hi All, I started a topic on Strongman clifden scissor lifts and the helpful responses have made me re-think my choice. the product looks good but for a narrow car like my TR6 it may not be ideal. Also, I wont use it much so a cost of circa £3000 looks very heavy.

Does anyone have a view on the Equipment4garages similar product (mid-rise lift) or even their portable Kwik lift which might just do what I need and enable me to get under the car without skinning my nose. Safety is key for me so any views from users of these products would be great.

Thanks to all

Chris

i'm interested to have views too.  i checked all posts i could find on this lifting topic and plan to buy a quick jack 5000 that seems fairly similar to the kwik lift.  i have seen positive feedback from many TR users. it works for me because I have limited space and plan to use it mostly for cleaning/checking/oil change, nothing more.  Also there is an option to use the lift for motorbikes too, reason why i went for the 5000 over the base model.  https://www.quickjack.com

I still need to order it so no experience yet....

cheers,

Laurent

I got a mid rise lift from Equipment4 garages around 4 years ago and have not looked back. It has proved reliable and the portable nature of it is also useful. It is not light to move, but just about possible for one person. In the main, mine sits in my garage and my TR5 sits over it without having to sink it into the floor. This mid rise lift (I have the 3ton version), has a narrower centre gap than the Strongman, although one of my chums has that and his TR5 fits on it ok. You just have to be a bit more careful positioning the car. 

The lift locks well and gives confidence that it is located properly and not just reliant on hydraulic pressure to keep it up. The metre rise is wonderful when you first get it (compared to scissor jacks and axle stands), but after 4 years I wish I could stand under the car. That’s just me getting older, so ignore me and I would say get one. It cost me £1500 inc VAT when I got it, but I can see it’s gone up a little. Still good value to me and you will be surprised how often you use it. No connection to the company, just a satisfied customer.

Any questions just PM me and we can speak. Hope that helps.

Mike

Photo of the car on the lift for Drive it Day 2020, when we couldn’t drive it.

7344E582-B7B1-428A-BE30-ABEE19398071.jpeg

Roy

Not sure I can answer your question directly. I believe Equipment4garages import the lifts from China, having commissioned the build themselves. Before I purchased, which I now see was in 2016, I went to their trading premises near St Albans, Hertfordshire. It was a farm without fancy showroom facilities, but they were very helpful and set up a lift to demonstrate while I was there. They were organising a barn area for customers to visit to see their products and I would expect that they are better organised now. I am sure a phone call to them would be able to elaborate.

Perhaps reading the reviews both on the firms site and on other advisory sites might give you additional information.

Mick Richards

I've been looking at lifts just recently. I was told UK manufacturers are finding it very hard now to compete on price with Chinese imports. A couple of suppliers have been reticent to quote me firm prices and some will only install and maintain because it's not worth their while trying to make a margin on supply. At the same time, prices have recently all gone up sharply because of the massive hike/volatility in steel prices.

Nigel

Edited by Bleednipple

Mike's picture reminded me of this.

If you had a place to keep it an old fork lift truck would probably work quite well.

(With the addition of some sort of anti-drop latch incase the hydraulics failed.)

Climax.jpg

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Mike's picture reminded me of this.

If you had a place to keep it an old fork lift truck would probably work quite well.

(With the addition of some sort of anti-drop latch incase the hydraulics failed.)

Climax.jpg

Where my old workshop was located we did indeed have the use of a forklift which did come in handy on odd occasions.

There is one here but its far too big to be used safely in the confines of the yard.

Stuart.

Reminds me of a story I heard when visiting a book warehouse during my salesman days: a chap wanted to weld some patches on the floor of his Mini during his lunch break. He couldn't find the fork truck driver, but the keys were in the truck, so he borrowed it, lifted the Mini and started welding, without lifting the carpets, which of course caught fire. Alerted to this, he rushed back into the building to find an extinguisher. Meanwhile, someone else had told the fork truck driver there was a burning car on the forks of his truck, so he dashed out, jumped on the truck, drove it to the edge of the yard and tipped the Mini into a flooded ditch...

Pete