TR4 Pinion Seal

Quick couple of questions I couldn’t see answered on other threads……

I have an increasing level of oil weep coming from the front of the diff on my solid-axle 4, can the seal be removed/replaced with the axle in-place and me under the car with only disconnecting the propshaft, or does the exhaust also need to come out of the way?

Assuming it can be done in place, is there likely to be enough room to get a cordless impact wrench on the nut to undo it? Or will I need to fabricate something to bolt onto the flange to hold it while undoing the nut?  Anyone know what size the nut is?

i have seen a couple of comments saying to be sure the new seal is fitted the correct way round - but without saying which way was correct :) . Should the Spring face into the diff or towards the flange?  Is the standard seal available from regular suppliers OK, or is there an updated one?

lastly, I have seen mention of a speedisleeve being needed, does this push-fit into the back of the flange or need different kind of persuasion?  From other threads I think the right size for the sleeve is SKF 99149, can anyone confirm?

Thanks for any help, apologies for many questions, but I was just trying to get all of my ducks lined up beforehand :) 

Cheers…… Andy 

55 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

Quick couple of questions I couldn’t see answered on other threads……

I have an increasing level of oil weep coming from the front of the diff on my solid-axle 4, can the seal be removed/replaced with the axle in-place and me under the car with only disconnecting the propshaft, or does the exhaust also need to come out of the way?

Assuming it can be done in place, is there likely to be enough room to get a cordless impact wrench on the nut to undo it? Or will I need to fabricate something to bolt onto the flange to hold it while undoing the nut?  Anyone know what size the nut is?

i have seen a couple of comments saying to be sure the new seal is fitted the correct way round - but without saying which way was correct :) . Should the Spring face into the diff or towards the flange?  Is the standard seal available from regular suppliers OK, or is there an updated one?

lastly, I have seen mention of a speedisleeve being needed, does this push-fit into the back of the flange or need different kind of persuasion?  From other threads I think the right size for the sleeve is SKF 99149, can anyone confirm?

Thanks for any help, apologies for many questions, but I was just trying to get all of my ducks lined up beforehand :) 

Cheers…… Andy 

Don’t forget to punch mark the nut

Guys - you could also try DT Seals Ltd ( https://dtseals.co.uk/ ) - I bought a number of sleeves for the diff input and output flanges and the gearbox output flange  and they were less than £10 each - the diff input flange is pt no CR99149 , the output flanges CR99162 and gearbox output flange CR 99168. They have proved fine in use.

They are not stainless steel but then again nor are the original bits they go on!

Hope this helps

cheers Rich

1 hour ago, Drewmotty said:

It’s no problem to replace the seal in situ. 
The spring goes towards the oily bits. 
My impact gun gets to the nut without a problem. 

Thanks Andrew, glad that the impact wrench fits in OK for you, gives me a good feeling that I’ll be able to undo it without having to make up anything special - spring toward the internals, got it :) 

59 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Andy,

if your flange is worn you will soon spot the groove.

A new flange is apprx £78

The speedi sleeve is  apprx £60.  I would go with a new flange.

Roger

thanks Roger, I’ll take a look at the flange once out any take it from there :) 

45 minutes ago, ntc said:

Don’t forget to punch mark the nut

Thanks Neil, I appreciate the reminder because I had forgotten that!   If I understand correctly I need to mark the nut/flange/thread to ensure (when reassembling) that the nut is retightened back to where it was before so that the pre-load is back as-before. Is that right?

38 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Thank you Peter, that was one of the threads that I had taken a look at for some initial guidance. I appreciate the eBay link for the sleeve, that is a much more agreeable price! :) 

27 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Guys - you could also try DT Seals Ltd ( https://dtseals.co.uk/ ) - I bought a number of sleeves for the diff input and output flanges and the gearbox output flange  and they were less than £10 each - the diff input flange is pt no CR99149 , the output flanges CR99162 and gearbox output flange CR 99168. They have proved fine in use.

They are not stainless steel but then again nor are the original bits they go on!

Hope this helps

cheers Rich

Thank you Rich, I will see if they are still reasonably-priced for their sleeves - I appreciate the confirmation of all the part numbers - are those all for the solid axle, not the 4a type? (Or are they the same ?)

really appreciate all the replies, many thanks to all - my confidence level has improved :) 

cheers……. Andy 

12 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Andy,

if your flange is worn you will soon spot the groove.

A new flange is apprx £78

The speedi sleeve is  apprx £68.  I would go with a new flange.

Roger

The Thieving devils. How can they justify £69 when the rest of the world can do them for sub £20.

No wonder they are on back order.

Roger