Oil leackage around oil pan

Hello All, 

I do have oil leaking in the front and aft area of the oil pan. For the front leak, I am quite confident, that the leak is around the two T-seals to the block. For the back area, I am still investigating. Although it is just a few drops, I am keen on geeting it dry.  A conversion to the stiffer aluminum pan with a new seal would be one thought I have in mind (as cooling will be improved as well). Can the front-T seals be exchanged when taking off the pan as well ? Any input on futher commonly known leak spots on the TRs ?

Input welcome!

Cheers

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

having a dry oil pan (sump) is what TR owners dream of.

The front oil leak could also be from the timing chain case seal - this is a common area.

The rear could be from the rocker cover (very common), the rear scroll seal (fit the Chris Marx lip seal) the camshaft core plug.

The Aluminum oil pan may actually increase oil leaks as many are porous.

Is the flange of you steel oil pan flat?  Are the oil pan screws tight and sealed?

To replace the T seals you would need to remove the front sealing block - I believe this is possible with the oil pan removed.

Sweet dreams 

Roger

Hi Roger, 

a good post reply always starts with the management of expectation, doesn't it ...:D

Thanks for the input!

Just for clarification: with "scroll seal"  you mean the split rear crankshaft seal, corerect ?

Cheers

Oliver

52 minutes ago, Moliver said:

Hi Roger, 

a good post reply always starts with the management of expectation, doesn't it ...:D

Thanks for the input!

Just for clarification: with "scroll seal"  you mean the split rear crankshaft seal, corerect ?

Cheers

Oliver

Yes

52 minutes ago, Moliver said:

.. the leakage would then be through the cluth housing bottum hole (?)

Yes and off the steel plate that closes the bell housing behind the oil pan/sump.

My engine was dripping from here and it turned out to be the seal in the base of the oil filter bowl, under the long attachment bolt.  New seal fitted at oil change solved that problem.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
9 hours ago, Moliver said:

Hello All, 

I do have oil leaking in the front and aft area of the oil pan. For the front leak, I am quite confident, that the leak is around the two T-seals to the block. For the back area, I am still investigating. Although it is just a few drops, I am keen on geeting it dry.  A conversion to the stiffer aluminum pan with a new seal would be one thought I have in mind (as cooling will be improved as well). Can the front-T seals be exchanged when taking off the pan as well ? Any input on futher commonly known leak spots on the TRs ?

Input welcome!

Cheers

Oliver

Front leaks could be the T shaped cork gasket or…….someone having put too long a bolt in and pushed through the aluminium block.

Rear leak could be pan, could be rear crank seal, could be inadequate felt packing in the rear main bearing channel’s.

Always worth checking when the pan is off that the bolt holes have the correct raised edges and that the pan is actually flat.

Iain

Hi All, 

Thanks again. I think (despite the fact, that I have just completed an oil change) I will take the pan off and investigate.

Ref Oil pan seal: Are there different quality standards available or just the straight forward cork one?

Additional sealing compound recommended ?

Regards

Oliver

Hi,

another reason could be the push rod tubes leaking, I repaired that some weeks ago.

The oil pan "bended" means the holes are "punched" by tightening the bolts too much; is a paper oil seal fitted you will find broken or squeezed.

Please see my post on another forum how I pressed the holes / flange back: 

https://tr-freun.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=14523

Onother thing I've been told (never had this open) some of the threads at the front and rear go though in the crankcase.

You never get this thread sealed with a steel washer, so I use fibre washers on the bolts in the middle.

Anyway, a oily issue. This has not been built to be sealed the way we know this  today.

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320