Steering rack length

I can’t remember what the dimension is but it’s only a few mm different to the optimum dimension for a TR3 rack conversion. I guess that’s why you’re asking?

The optimum is the same as the width between the centres of the front wishbone pivots ie 445.5mm

Edited by Drewmotty

Mine is still on the car so having to feel through the gaiter for the inner ball joint and can only be approximate.

Fixing centres 355mm.

Fixing to inner balljoint 120mm.

Inner to outer balljoints 320mm.

So I think the measurement you need between inner balljoints is very approximately 595mm.

Jerry

On 1/23/2022 at 8:09 AM, Drewmotty said:

I can’t remember what the dimension is but it’s only a few mm different to the optimum dimension for a TR3 rack conversion. I guess that’s why you’re asking?

The optimum is the same as the width between the centres of the front wishbone pivots ie 445.5mm

the need for rack length and position is important.   Costain  and Phipps said the centre of the inner ball joint of the rack had to lie on an imaginary line drawn between the top and bottom inner fulcrums of the wishbones.   
  Ackerman angle is also important for the outer track rod end position.   For sidescreen cars Revington has addressed this with bent steering levers…..that actually work as described.

this is helpful. https://www.lincolntech.edu/news/hot-rod-garage/eliminate-bump-steer-lincoln-tech-tip

6DBA63C7-6C5D-48FA-80CA-F3FBFE2E95A3.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT