Exhaust rattle

Ever since acquiring my TR4 I've had problems with my exhaust rattling where it passes through the chassis frame. It has been looked at by our local stainless exhaust builder on at least 3 occasions and we have also tried to fix it when up on the lift at a club member's garage. Each time we think we've solved it but it returns.

The problem may be partly due to the fact that I have a J type overdrive on a saloon gearbox. When I first got it the previous owner had some 'asbestos' rope around it to stop it chattering and this was probably the most effective solution. An asbestos 'sleeve' would probably work best if such a thing exists (on the lines of foam insulation for water pipes)

It is a very irritating problem.

Ideas anyone?

Andy

1 minute ago, stillp said:

What exhaust system do you have?

Pete

It is a single pipe system. May have been custom made (stainless). Unfortunately no reference in my box of receipts from the po.

Andy

2 minutes ago, stillp said:

Is the mount to the gearbox in good nick? I had to change mine, and also lower the back of the exhaust to raise the part where it passes through the chassis.

Pete

Yes, but not sure if it is a proprietory part as the gearbox and overdrive are not standard (though they work perfectly well). The rear mount was modified by the local exhaust 'expert' to make a better fit. As I said, it seems fine for a while but speed bumps, potholes and generally dodgy road surface mean that the problem returns. A sleeve that would fit between the pipe and the chassis would appear to be the best 'silencing bodge' I can think of.

2 minutes ago, Chris Hubball said:

I had the same problem wrapped mine in a piece of old asbestos fire blanket years ago would not please the health and safety brigade today but still does the job.

Cheers Chris

Might be the best solution

11 hours ago, Malbaby said:

There must be a correct repair available to the pipe. Perhaps an additional mount or alterations to the existing.

I would take the car back to the exhaust shop for further investigation.

The problem is that they didn't make it and I think I may have used up my quota of goodwill

Hello Andy

Don't know what exactly you have under your car but on my 4A I originally had the cross box at the back end. It never seemed to fit properly and rattled. There were 2 'eyes' at the rear chassis under the boot area for a twin exhaust so I fitted one of those. The exhaust attaches at the back to the eyes using rubber doughnut style mounts. It took a while to get these in the correct position to stop the exhaust rattling. Maybe you could fit an extra clamp somewhere along the length to allow you to use something similar to dampen down the movement of the centre part of the system. Either rubber doughnut mounts attached between exhaust and chassis or even a spring to hold the exhaust in place. I vaguely remember having a BMW with a spring on the exhaust and my Mini one has one too but that is my doing.

It took me ages to get the system lined up and clamped before I stopped the rattle.

Good luck

Keith

A different system on my 4A of course, a Phoenix 4 into 1 stainless extractor manifold and single tail pipe with rear silencer.  The answer on my car when I first fitted the system or subsequentky have removed and reffited it is to leave all clamps quite tight but sufficientyly loose to allow relative movement of the components then to manipulate the parts to give optimum clearance to the chassis before finally tightening, I have never had an exhaust rattle. Incidentally I reccomend Mikalor clamps for gas tight seals at joints. These give uniform clamping force round the pipe's diameter unlike the 'U' type items.

Tim  

As its a TR4 not a 4a all the above answers dont apply, do you have the rear mount fitted behind the rear box? Item No 45 to 50 here. https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/exhaust/exhaust-systems/exhaust-system-tr2-4-1953-65.html

See below just behind the main box

Stuart.

DSCN0018.JPG

7 hours ago, keith1948 said:

Hello Andy

Don't know what exactly you have under your car but on my 4A I originally had the cross box at the back end. It never seemed to fit properly and rattled. There were 2 'eyes' at the rear chassis under the boot area for a twin exhaust so I fitted one of those. The exhaust attaches at the back to the eyes using rubber doughnut style mounts. It took a while to get these in the correct position to stop the exhaust rattling. Maybe you could fit an extra clamp somewhere along the length to allow you to use something similar to dampen down the movement of the centre part of the system. Either rubber doughnut mounts attached between exhaust and chassis or even a spring to hold the exhaust in place. I vaguely remember having a BMW with a spring on the exhaust and my Mini one has one too but that is my doing.

It took me ages to get the system lined up and clamped before I stopped the rattle.

Good luck

Keith

I had a similar problem with the cross box. However I prefer this set-up to the twin tailpipes. Mine rattled against the chassis on the near side where the box has like a dummy inlet or outlet stub. I ground this back flush with the box and re-welded it. It now clears by about 1/2”. The other problem is it ran very close to the pan of the chassis. Mine also touched there, and had a broken exhaust strap. I corrected this also and it seems rattle free now. I’m talking 4a of course.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits
6 hours ago, stuart said:

As its a TR4 not a 4a all the above answers dont apply, do you have the rear mount fitted behind the rear box? Item No 45 to 50 here. https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/exhaust/exhaust-systems/exhaust-system-tr2-4-1953-65.html

See below just behind the main box

Stuart.

DSCN0018.JPG

I'll have to check over the weekend as I can't remember exactly what is where. I'll have to see if I can borrow John Morrison's lift! Certainly looks similar in the way it passes through the centre of the cruciform at an angle. This is where the rattling occurs.

Andy

Edited by Ocheye

Managed to have a look underneath this morning. One of the nuts had worked loose which, when tightened, has improved things although we felt that a bobbin attached via abrackt to the lower part of the chassis would prevent it dropping down again. I took a few pics for information.

At some stage I need to check my oil leaks on the gearbox and overdrive and either replace or lose the speedo angle drive (if it isn't necessary - it may be a throwback to the saloon it came from). This will be an opportunity to sort out the exhaust mountings once and for all and replace the gearbox rear mounting rubbers at the same time.

Andy

2065272716_dhktNMlS3WcWknhyUKiHw_thumb_b82e.thumb.jpg.cebfba195957544fb604311adf7fb009.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b82c.thumb.jpg.e1f78e695181a343ffa496d1bedd9d3b.jpg502538671_qrW2MIxQ8yVuDxqRuxg_thumb_b830.thumb.jpg.d7cdbf4071f54da8a68da507201728e6.jpg897954001_fAifEnPWT1WOoYAKvCzZg_thumb_b833.thumb.jpg.bfa90e554bfd9842b523457c5cacdb26.jpg

All of those mounts are non standard so Im afraid all bets are off and your just going to have to go through it all front to back and adjust as required to get rid of any rattles.

Stuart.

Just now, stuart said:

All of those mounts are non standard so Im afraid all bets are off and your just going to have to go through it all front to back and adjust as required to get rid of any rattles.

Stuart.

The gearbox one was something we did recently. That was the one that had vibrated loose!. The rear one was on the car when I bought it

Andy

13 minutes ago, Ocheye said:

The gearbox one was something we did recently. That was the one that had vibrated loose!. The rear one was on the car when I bought it

Andy

This shows what you should have https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/exhaust/exhaust-systems/exhaust-system-tr2-4-1953-65.html

Obviously the front one is completely different and the rear one should have the strap straight and right angle brackets to allow it to sit like that.

Stuart.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:29 PM, stuart said:

This shows what you should have https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/exhaust/exhaust-systems/exhaust-system-tr2-4-1953-65.html

Obviously the front one is completely different and the rear one should have the strap straight and right angle brackets to allow it to sit like that.

Stuart.

I'm still a tad confused. I have a copy of the Moss catalogue.

Re. the mount between the silencers, is the bracket that comes off the chassis correct and if so do I need to install parts 40-50?

Re. the forward mount. Will parts 33/39 fit my gearbox and/or overdrive?

Andy

897954001_fAifEnPWT1WOoYAKvCzZg_thumb_b833.thumb.jpg.bfa90e554bfd9842b523457c5cacdb26.jpg

15 hours ago, Ocheye said:

I'm still a tad confused. I have a copy of the Moss catalogue.

Re. the mount between the silencers, is the bracket that comes off the chassis correct and if so do I need to install parts 40-50?

Re. the forward mount. Will parts 33/39 fit my gearbox and/or overdrive?

Andy

897954001_fAifEnPWT1WOoYAKvCzZg_thumb_b833.thumb.jpg.bfa90e554bfd9842b523457c5cacdb26.jpg

The chassis bracket is OK but its the rest of it thats wrong, you can see it better in below picture. Yes the forward mount 30-39 is a better option though its a bit of a fiddle to get in the right place. It bolts to one of the gearbox mount screws.

Stuart.

DSCN0018 - Copy.JPG

On 1/27/2022 at 9:56 AM, stuart said:

The chassis bracket is OK but its the rest of it thats wrong, you can see it better in below picture. Yes the forward mount 30-39 is a better option though its a bit of a fiddle to get in the right place. It bolts to one of the gearbox mount screws.

Stuart.

DSCN0018 - Copy.JPG

Thanks that's very helpful

Andy

I crushed the poipe slightly oval where it goes through the centre section to give myself a bit of extra clearance.  Also, use the TR4 exhaust clamp onto the gearbox mount to fix the pipe securely at the front where it goes through the cruciform and use a decent hanger that drops straight down downstream of the cruciform and you shouldn't have any problems.  You may have to modify the hanger from the gearbox to get it to support the pipe properly - not too difficult if you have a welder.

Rgds Ian

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 15.27.06.png

Edited by Ian Vincent