Rear fog light

Anyone care to hazard a guess why the rear fog light takes power from the dipped beam circuit? It means it goes off on full beam. Conversely front fogs have a permanent live. I thought it had been messed with, but it is like that on the wiring diagram. 1980 RHD car. 

Jerry

My dad helped me wire my first fog light to a Hillman Avenger like that ... his logic was that if you can use full beam it isn't foggy enough to use your rear high intensity light.

He (like me) is one of those people who get angry at 'fog lights' being flicked on in rain and light fog and / or being left on because the effing light on the dash isn't enough of a clue!  

Wired that way so you must have dipped heads on as well - not just sidelights.  As Hawk says - you can't use high beam in proper fog because the back-scatter means you can't see anything.  It does seem odd though, not to give you the choice. 

I did consider that, but light or patchy fog means you want to try both dip and main so your rear fog is flashing :huh:

Of course, using front fogs only, you could be rolling along with no rear lights at all. Maybe that one's for bank raid getaways.

I've wired it into the sidelight circuit and taped the front fog wire out of the way, as there are none fitted.

Jerry