Rear Valance Black

Hi

The original paint used was ICI Matt Black air drying paint reference 062/4523 used in conjunction with thinners ref 851/222. This information was published in Standard Triumph Newsletter no 203 for w/e 18/04/69. This information was robbed off this forum many years ago.

I think most use a basic Satin Black these days as it’s easier to look after than Matt Black.

Edited by Kevo_6

+1 for a Satin finish.

When I did my boot lip (PO had missed it??) the Matt Black I had (professionally) mixed (looked great initially) was impossible to clean with turning it into.....Satin Black!!

Satin at least wipes clean (important on a Kamm tail)

I wonder how these folks manage with their 'Matt finish' Mercs and BMWs etc??

Do they use something special to clean them??

6 hours ago, John Bracher said:

+1 for a Satin finish.

I wonder how these folks manage with their 'Matt finish' Mercs and BMWs etc??

I assumed that they were a wrap.

No, not a wrap (barring one exception). I have a BMW E92 V8 M3 Performance Edition which BMW marketed to celebrate the 2012 Olympics in London. This is one of 30 only of which 10 were in Frozen blue, 10 were in  Frozen white and 10 were in Frozen red, red white and blue which I get.

The blue and white cars were given a frozen finish which actually was a regular basecoat(s) followed by a matt laquer, giving a matt appearance. Any kind of polishing or detailing products are a big no-no. You have a special shampoo and a special detailer and thats it. Have to say I like it although just how you would repair a biggish dent or big scratch frankly I dont want to think of that. The frozen finish on the 10 red cars was actually a wrap which you could take off if you really desired it!

https://www.romansofstalbans.co.uk/stock/bmw/m3-dct-m-performance-edition-one-of-30-13-000-miles/1562

This one was up for sale about a year ago now and sold pretty quickly. My one is identical but has 45,000 on it but still mint.

I recently painted my TR6 rear panel in matt black which I was sceptical about as I thought it should be satin. Turns out the "regular appearance" is age realted matt black which after time and a good many cleanings/detailings appears like satin.

I used UPD matt black marketed through Fleet Factors Ltd and the result is first class and just the right finish, not a dull matt I hasten to add.

Alan G

Edited by cp25616