Gearbox covers/remotes

Hi there.

I am trying to identify the gearbox cover that came with my TR3A (CKD from SA) which has the normal bosses (2) for overdrive but not drilled.  There is a Heath Robinson modification under the gear lever which gives me o/d on 3rd and 4th but I’d rather like to have it on 2nd as well, plus with the switches on the top.  

I’m quite prepared to buy another remote but not sure of the correct one. - hence my other posting regarding a good parts book with original numbers.

Thanks

Is the gearbox 3 or 4 synchro?

here is a list of TR4 onwards 4 synchro top covers with part numbers.   https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/external-gearbox-tr5-6-1967-76.html

The bare casting of the 4 synchro is suitable for fitment to the 3 synchro if you change rods, levers, forks.  

see other part nos  here.    https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/external-gearbox-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

Where are you?

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
16 hours ago, Andrew Rogers said:

Hi there.

I am trying to identify the gearbox cover that came with my TR3A (CKD from SA) which has the normal bosses (2) for overdrive but not drilled.  There is a Heath Robinson modification under the gear lever which gives me o/d on 3rd and 4th but I’d rather like to have it on 2nd as well, plus with the switches on the top.  

I’m quite prepared to buy another remote but not sure of the correct one. - hence my other posting regarding a good parts book with original numbers.

Thanks

Sounds like a saloon box, my Mk1 2000 box has a bracket on the back holding the inhibitor switch for the O/D and a single drilling on the side of the housing for a reverse light switch.  Don`t know why they changed from having the switch on the top, unless they wanted to get the height of the tunnel down as low as possible in the saloon, or easier access if the switch needed changing with the saloon not having a removable tunnel.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

attaching pics is easy

When you have open the reply box you will see a title below  'Choose files..........

Click on this and you can then search for the pic you want to insert.

Double click on your pic and it will turn up below.

BEFORE you do this make sure that the pic is apprx 100Kb.  I use MS Paint to do this reszing.

Roge

On 1/30/2022 at 6:13 PM, Andrew Rogers said:

Thanks to all for responding to my query.  I now suspect I do have a saloon box but not sure I need to worry.  Or do I ?

As requested I will be posting a picture of the gearbox and remote just as soon as I’ve worked out how to attach them.  Help, please.

Andy

Nothing wrong with a saloon box, and you get the benefit of synchro on first gear. Also has a stronger mounting flange around the bellhousing. I assume the box is already fitted?, if not there are some differences around the input shaft/ release bearing housing. If you get the Moss TR catalogue it explains what you have to change or modify. In my case I changed the standard spring clutch assembly for the diaphragm type (which involved having the mounting holes in the flywheel re- drilled and tapped), or use a later flywheel from a 4a.

The mounting bracket for the overdrive solenoid to change it to vertical is available and an easy swap.

Ralph

This is a saloon box with the overdrive modified to TR spec, including the rear casing change.

I have modified it to take a dipstick, & to take an overdrive enable switch for 2nd gear.

The switch on the side is for reversing lights (not yet used !)

Bob

1388793723_Gearboxcomplete.thumb.jpeg.487f007e458978c8211ae2d8da1a78e0.jpeg

Edited by Lebro

Good point about the rear casing change Bob, used to be an adapter you could buy for the rear mounting, but now rear casings are available again no one stocks the adapter. Also I forgot about the speedo drive gears being wrong for the TR.

Ralph