That’s SO bad for the environment!

After a quick run in the TR7V8 late Saturday afternoon, I was returning close to home at around 25mph (low revs in 4th) over some speed humps and had “That’s SO bad for the environment!” shouted at me as I passed 2 pedestrians.

If I hadn’t had the rear window unzipped I probably wouldn’t have heard them.  The free flow exhaust on my V8 is fairly muted but it burbles like only a V8 can at low revs.

I was present at the NEC in November when Wayne Scott said in an on stage panel “we should educate the public over the lack of mileage that classic cars cover and the energy saved in keeping an old car going, instead of manufacturing a new one” or thereabouts .  It’s not so easy when you’re passing them at 25mph in traffic and it’s pitch black outside.

Has anyone else faced the same?  There’s plenty of large displacement modern euro barges in my neighbourhood that probably pass under the radar in plain sight.

I agree that road humps are terrible for the environment because they induce stop-start driving.  Perhaps those concerned pedestrians should be petitioning the local council to have them removed then ? ^_^

Maybe I haven’t described my point clearly enough here Rob.

This local road contains a Primary School and has mild speed humps and no one speeds up between them.  As far as I’m aware it was the noise of the V8 that this person found objectionable, not the traffic calming measures…. 

37 minutes ago, BusheyTrader said:

Or maybe the  irony of my  comment was lost.........I thought the emoji was a hint.

Perhaps those pedestrians were commenting on the noise but how can you tell for sure ?  People are welcome to their opinions but we don't have to take any notice of them, do we?

Edited by RobH

You are lucky that you were driving a TR and not an MG Midget.

A crowed would have appeared, picked up the MG and thrown it into the nearest river, telling you that you were committing a hate crime.

(Next week the word “Sprite” will be banned.)

Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...

Something wrong with your link Wayne, it should be: https://trees.fbhvc.co.uk/    That works!

Maybe the lack of the "https://"?

John

PS Bottom left hand corner of the vehicle type selection page, "Rallies" - is my Vitesse!     On its run out to Kendal Castle for last years "Drive-It Day"!!   It's raced rather than rallied, but the FBHVC may be forgiven for the mistake.

My carbon tax paid, tick!

PPS  The FBHVC's payment servccie "G-Pay" isn't working.  I get "Server error" and "Page not found".  Waiting or a reply from either org.

Edited by john.r.davies
On 2/9/2022 at 10:51 PM, jerrytr5 said:

Hamish, you do realise that no one under the age of 55 is likely to know what 'running in' means don't you, or is it a touch of irony?

:rolleyes:

Jerry

oh hopefully very Irony............................. as it will be on all racing season.......

On 1/17/2022 at 3:48 PM, BusheyTrader said:

This local road contains a Primary School and has mild speed humps and no one speeds up between them.  As far as I’m aware it was the noise of the V8 that this person found objectionable, not the traffic calming measures…. 

Possibly the tyre noise, depending what you are running on.  Most noise from roads now a days is deafening, the tyres.